VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not been using the van much for obvious reasons and this morning, the van wouldn't turnover - really struggled. Before jumping - I remembered the Victron relay has the emergency start which I used successfully (amazing by the way)

ran for around 10-15 mins before work and both starter and leisure reading over 14 to show charge as expected.

Left a few hours to let settle. Leisure battery still at 12.7, however the starter is now 12.14. Does it sound like the starter needs replacing? Or just lack of use and perhaps I didn't run for long enough?

My only other concern is that maybe the split charge system is not cutting off properly and keeping the leisure topped up for longer than normal if this is possible

·
Special Rapporteur
9,380 Posts
Without knowing what voltage the engine battery was originally, it's impossible to say.

If it was well below 12 volts before you started then a 10-15 min journey would not get anywhere close to fully charging it, even if it were in good condition - so a voltage of 12.14V might not suggest a problem with the battery.

If on the other hand it was above 12V before you started, then it wouldn't have been accepting any charge at all and is probably shagged.

But in your position I would think it's suspect, and would have it tested.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks @triffic I wish I had taken a reading before, just to see. Will keep an eye over the next few days and going to buy a charger today anyway. If it's new battery time - are there any recommendations for a half decent 2009 1.9 replacement?

·
Registered
10,157 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
van left overnight went from 12.14 when I posted to 12.01 right now. will take for a 20 min drive today and test again a couple hours after that

·
Registered
292 Posts
At 12.01 volts a 20 min drive will not be anywhere near enough to test, if you have or can get a battery charger, 4 or 7 amps would be ok, charge the battery for at least 12 hours hours before a test, 24 hours would be better..

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got a car charger to give it some extra over night. does anyone know if i should disconnect the split charge cable from starter battery before using a battery charger?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yep, let us know how it goes, bit of luck it might be ok, left standing for extended periods they will discharge quite a bit, good luck.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi, so I've been able to test a little more..

Battery with or without split charge main wiring connected - level drop is more noticeable - from 12.6 to 12.35 in under 48 hours - both around the same so Im happy to rule out leisure battery/split charge issue.

Battery completely disconnected - it held 12.6 for longer and still 12.53 after 48 hours.

Does this indicate an issue with the van drawing some use with things turned off? and would you guys think the battery seems okay?

Thanks

·
Registered
292 Posts
Well those figures aren't too bad, but hard to give a definite answer, if the battery is weak it could explain the "12.35 in under 48 hours ", because there are consumers on all the time (only small current though), however if the battery is strong it could mean there is a small (non system) current drain. I think you will have to get the battery load tested to determine its condition before you can determine the rest.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well those figures aren't too bad, but hard to give a definite answer, if the battery is weak it could explain the "12.35 in under 48 hours ", because there are consumers on all the time (only small current though), however if the battery is strong it could mean there is a small (non system) current drain. I think you will have to get the battery load tested to determine its condition before you can determine the rest.
Ta. So the way it stands, my van isn't going to last more than ~4 or more days on the drive without going below 12v and needing a jump. So I will have to either charge it every couple of days to keep it topped up, disconnect the battery or find out what is consuming the power. Any tips on the latter?

Even when lockdown is over with, I rarely use the van more than 2-3 times a week anyway, so it would be good to find out what the issue is.

Thanks

·
Registered
292 Posts
If you have to recharge, do it carefully, make sure you have clean and tight connections before switching on, and always switch off before disconnecting, I know you know all this already.
There was a VW Technical Info called "TPL Battery discharged – diagnosis and known faults TPL No. 2011085 for T5" , Give it a Google and if you can't find it I can send you a copy.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks. I'm struggling to find any doc online, just another T5 forums link where you've mentioned it to someone else :)

if you can send it over, I'd really appreciate it

·
Registered
292 Posts
@ Mr chatlow, I forgot to mention earlier that if you haven't already done so, is to disconnect any radio/audio/amp equipment to test again for drain.

·
Registered
68 Posts
"from 12.6 to 12.35 in under 48 hours"

I can watch my battery drain that much in 20 minutes with a voltmeter, lol, guess I have a big problem

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
"from 12.6 to 12.35 in under 48 hours"

I can watch my battery drain that much in 20 minutes with a voltmeter, lol, guess I have a big problem
Thanks OSTY - will take a look!

Ha, yeah i think i underestimated mine. Not quote 20 mins but its down from full to 12.2 in 2 days. Meh. The only thing I've added recently is new Pioneer headunit and Victron split charge to LB. The headunit goes off with ignition and ive ruled out split charge by disconnecting it.

Only other thing I can think of is reverse sensor but that is connected to power from the reverse light so I cant see that being an issue either. Stumped!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Disconnect the head unit completely and test again. That’s where I would be putting my money...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts