VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason the new battery i put in a few months ago is draining - i started the van after it sitting for a few weeks and it started first turn - but then two days later it's like it's got a lazy starter motor (dying battery). I checked the battery voltage whilst the van was running and it was putting out close to 14v. I have cleaned up all the battery/alternator/starter motor and body earths. Because this is an ex AA van there are wires everywhere and i'm not sure where to start. Can anyone help this mellow yellow wagon. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yo Dude,

I have exactly the same problem. I have traced the current drain to one of the smaller wires coming from the + battery side.

I think it is a problem with the alarm/immobiliser box found underneath the fusebox. I need to do some further testing, and so should hopefully find out the problem and post it.

The forum seems to be full of people who have a battery drain caused by a current drain of around 600MV, but nobody has ever posted a solution! An auto electrician has removed all the AA Junk from mine and says the drain is still there and that it's probably down to the immobiliser/alarm box.

Hope to have futher info soon. If anyone has solved this can you please let us know?!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yo Dude,

I have exactly the same problem. I have traced the current drain to one of the smaller wires coming from the + battery side.

I think it is a problem with the alarm/immobiliser box found underneath the fusebox. I need to do some further testing, and so should hopefully find out the problem and post it.

The forum seems to be full of people who have a battery drain caused by a current drain of around 600MV, but nobody has ever posted a solution! An auto electrician has removed all the AA Junk from mine and says the drain is still there and that it's probably down to the immobiliser/alarm box.

Hope to have futher info soon. If anyone has solved this can you please let us know?!
Thanks for your advice - hope we can find a solution to this soon before my local store runs out of batteries LOL :eek:

·
Registered
271 Posts
I am having this problem to at the moment. I think I have traced mine to the coolant run on pump (or something like that). When RAC man came and checked the drain it was around 0.6 amps - enough to drain a battery over a weekend aparently. My thread is here >>> http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=46922 but still waiting for some more info about the pump.

Mine is ex AA to and has been fine for over 12 months with all the electrics still in and nothing changed recently.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Mine drains after about 2 weeks of non use. I have fitted a battery cut off switch as i am sick of charging it, the only downside of a cut off switch is the radio settings are lost everyime. But at least i dont have to charge it every time.
It is not ex-AA. I havent checked the drain.

Smokey.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For some reason the new battery i put in a few months ago is draining - i started the van after it sitting for a few weeks and it started first turn - but then two days later it's like it's got a lazy starter motor (dying battery). I checked the battery voltage whilst the van was running and it was putting out close to 14v. I have cleaned up all the battery/alternator/starter motor and body earths. Because this is an ex AA van there are wires everywhere and i'm not sure where to start. Can anyone help this mellow yellow wagon. :)
My 2.5 TDI T4 had a similar problem. Local VW service engineer tested the electric system with his portable box of tricks , provided a print out and advised replacement of the alternator. I wasn`t convinced and I took advice from a LSUK technician over the phone, I carried out a few volt tests advised the technician of the results/fitted an exchange unit. The motor was part filled with water for some reason! All was well after this refit, no battery change was required. Hope this helps you/others.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 2.5 TDI T4 had a similar problem. Local VW service engineer tested the electric system with his portable box of tricks , provided a print out and advised replacement of the alternator. I wasn`t convinced and I took advice from a LSUK technician over the phone, I carried out a few volt tests advised the technician of the results/fitted an exchange unit. The motor was part filled with water for some reason! All was well after this refit, no battery change was required. Hope this helps you/others.
Do you mean that you changed the alternator - what do you mean the motor was part filled with water?
:eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I beg your pardon, more clarity was indeed required.
The starter motor was part filled with water, perhaps the previous owner had driven through a deep ford. The starter motor was exchanged at LSUK ( Lucas Service UK) at Carlisle and I refit it to the bellhousing, a wee bit fiddly - long allen key required. Since this replacement, about four years ago, there have been no further problems in this area..... to date!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts