VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at installing a 15" screen in the back of my T5 so I can watch movies from my DVD-p/stereo which is also connected to a Beat car Freeview unit. Since I'll be doing this while the engine is off, I'm a bit concerned about the effect on the battery. Would it be advisable to install a second battery?

If so, advice as to what I should be getting would be appreciated. I'm not looking at running anything on 240v, it's purely so I can watch tv/movies on kit built for use in cars.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If it was me, I'd be looking to install a split charger and a leisure battery. That way you never have to worry that the van won't start and when it does, it will charge them back up again.

Your looking at around £60 - £70 for the 85 battery (or more if you go bigger like a 110 or so) and about £20-30 for the split charger. Then run the TV/DVD of that direct through a fuse box.

These batterys are deep cycle, meaning they last longer with a consistant draw on them. Car batterys will do the job but I'd go for the leisure one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for the advice. Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been away.

I've Googled the parts you mention and the whole idea doesn't look too daunting now. Would it be easy enough for a novice to install and do you know of any guides on the web? The information I found was discussion of options rather than basic instructions for installation.

Am I right in assuming that the 85 battery would be adequate for running the car stereo/DVD, Freeview, and a screen for a couple of hours?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.