VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, my van had a bit of a senior moment yesterday on the way home from work. It started with the battery light on the dash flashing, then the headlights dimmed, then the engine had a few "hesitations" which also coincided with the headlights dimming more. So i pulled over to check the handbook which said that it was a alternator fault. Now when I stopped the lights got brighter and the light went out on the dash. Very odd.

As soon as I started driving again the same happened, the light came on on the dash and the lights dimmed. Stopped again and left it idle for 5 min and it seemed fine.

For the next 5 miles or so it was a little hesitent on acceleration and just felt a bit sluggish, but I did't go above 1800 just in case.

Got to my house and turned it off. Left it five min and went for a quick spin and it felt fine. It started on the button this morning and has run fine. It doesn't seem low on power but I can't be sure that the hesitation hasn't gone completely although I'm sure I'm just feeling every little thing now!!

Hope fully someone might be able to shed some light on this possible problem.

Would a faulty alternator be able to affect the engine to the point where you felt it on acceleration?

Thanks in advance all!

Chris.

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
It sounds like you could have a major short somewhere. Check all visible wiring for signs of damage. If it happens again check it seen to properly, you don't want a fire.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that upspex, I have checked what I can and haven't found any thing obvious. However on the way home from sunderland at the weekend the alternator seemed to fail, although not completely. The battery light would come on infrequently at first and then more often the closer to home I got, mainly when I had it in low revs (14-1800) and accelerating (not hard).

Stopped at thirsk to check it out and there is a squeeling noise coming from the engine bay. Sounds to me like the bearings have disintigrated which would explain why it sometimes worked and other times didn't, (as the shaft moved around) so it's off to the docs tomorrow :-(

I shall keep you posted.

Chris.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi Andy, yes it is a 2.5 130, should have mentioned that before! I shall bring that up with my tame mechanic tonight! Is it a problem you have had before?

cd

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
hi Andy, yes it is a 2.5 130, should have mentioned that before! I shall bring that up with my tame mechanic tonight! Is it a problem you have had before?

cd
Ah, I've heard of it and it one of the things that's due at my next major service....

I'd put my money on it being the coupling, probs about £100 worth of parts but it's a tricky part to get too!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well here's hoping it's just the couplings! They got changed at 100k but it's done another 50k since then. It's going in tomorrow to be stripped down and checked out so I'll keep you posted on what happens. Tempted to clean the inlet manifold out whilst the fronts off too!! Also might replace the glowplugs, or at least get him to test them.

cd

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well my tame mechanic has got the whole front end off and rads out of the way, and the alternator out in 3 1/2 hours. Pretty good for someone who hasn't worked that deep in one before!

The alternator sounds "rough" and the freewheel is a bit past it too. Parts are ordered so should be all here tomorrow.

Hopefully it'll be back on the road on thursday. Whilst the fronts off I've also got him to check out the glow plugs and replace as needed, and also gona have a look at cleaning the inlet manifold out.

Chris.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
day two!

The alternator is buggered, but I knew that. It has locked u now so a new one is here to replace it. The coupling was also looking a bit off due presumably to the extra strain of trying to turn a knackered alternator, so thats being replaced to.

Whilst he was there he had a look at the glow plugs. 4, yes 4, are not working! so i think it's fair to say my van doesn't have the 'no glow plug' warning light that others say they have. 5 new ones and that should help with cold starting in the morning!

Also going to do a oil and filter change too. It's going to be an expensive week, but if the fronts off you may as well get as much done as poss!

can anyone think of anything else thats worth checking whilst he's there?

CD

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have my van back!!

She's back to her normal self, infact better than normal. I've had her for 3 years and she has always stgarted a bit rough in the cold. now with new plugs in she doesn't! hmmm maybe I should have got them changed a while ago!!

It will be interesting to see if the 3-4 mpg that I have lost over the last 6 months comes back. If the bearings have been going for a while on the alternator then I think I might see an improvement!

Cheers all,

Chris.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts