VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have got the battery light on the dashboard perminatley also i have fitted a new battery but it is discharged flat in morn?would it be the alternator taking the power out after i have turned engine off(when the engine is running its charging ok) any help please

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi mate thanks for reply and yes its on when running and when of the batt drops to nowt overnite?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Put a voltmeter across your battery positive and negative terminals when the engine's running. You should be getting a reading of just under 14 volts. If it's noticeably less than that, and your battery light is on and you're getting a flat battery each day then it's pretty likely to be your alternator mate.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi checked the charge thing and it reads 13.8 when running and belt sound but i read someware on here to take neg lead of bat and put meter over to register drop,which was droppin every few seconds like 12.45,12.44,12.43 is or would that be the altenator(i did pressure wash the engine a week ago and that started the probs(learnt my lesson:()please any help....im buggered as its my daily

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
did you turn the multimeter to amps dissconnect the neg battery post and connect the multimeter inbetween the negative post on battery and the negative terminal?

·
Registered
528 Posts
If its a new battery and the alternator is pumping out 13.8 volts when the engine is running I'd suggest you've got a power drain somewhere. When the van is switched off make sure every circuit is dead i.e. all interior lights are off (the glovebox light sticking on is a possibility) All ancilliary stuff is off - have you got lots of electrical goodies fitted to the van that may not have been correctly wired up? Have you got a leisure battery that may have suspect wiring? You could try disconnecting the battery when you park up at home and then see if it fires ok in the morning, if it does that would suggest to me that the battery is holding its charge ok. It's a process of elimination - a pain in the butt I know :( Keep us posted mate.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi again !right ive sent al off for checking?and found the blue wire near the starter was earthing ,but when i reconnected it the bat light in the dash flashed few times then stayed on?also new prob when its ticking over with the lights on the dash is lit but when i drive the dash lights(blue back lit)go off:eek::confused:bloody van !!!!!cheers john

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
To check the wiring to the alterator:
First check battery
Check neg terminal to engine earth ok
Then you can proceed as follows:

You should be getting battery voltage to the Large wire (RED)

Disconnect the blue wire from back of alternator and with ign ON there should be no battery light
1. Check for 12v at the terminal of blue wire (If ok)
2. Earth the bluewire to engine/alternator, the battery light on dash should light up.
3. Disconnect this connection and the battery light should go out.
4. Check that the alternator has a good connection to earth.

If these all check out your alternator is FUBAR

1 - 12 of 12 Posts