VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. So along with a general overhaul of my 2.4 LWB, I'm converting it to a race transporter for my Chevrolet, bulkhead over rear wheels, seats/cooler/ general area to chill out forwards of that, tools, fire suit, helmets etc rear

QUESTION, is there anything special I will have to do to the battery wiring to move the main one to a compartment under the rear seats? There will be a split charge system on it along with a second battery, powering a very juicy audio system, big 3 upgraded to 0awg wire, will I just be able to do the usual and run the positive wires back and then earth the negatives out in the back somewhere? I know what I'm doing as far as audio, but I've never actually done a battery relocation :(

Cheers guys
Rich

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
pointless in my view.

reducing reliability and putting extra load onto the cables. you are also massivly increasing fire risk.

make a nice cover for it or find the original cover for that corner of the bay.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pointless in my view.

reducing reliability and putting extra load onto the cables. you are also massivly increasing fire risk.

make a nice cover for it or find the original cover for that corner of the bay.
It will all be done with 0awg though? So the wire won't get hot, enough current to power a house? Surely?

·
Formerly known as "dzv0ry" (but nobody knows why)
1,221 Posts
Chuck a suitable size fuse at either end of the live cable in case of any shorts and crack on.

Thought you were asking for advice, not to be talked out of it! I:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chuck a suitable size fuse at either end of the live cable in case of any shorts and crack on.

Thought you were asking for advice, not to be talked out of it! I:
Cheers mate :) so a nice junction box with a big fuse at battery end, and one where the battery was and that's it? I can just earth the negative side in the back somewhere can't I?

And that's what I thought, it seems that because what I'm doing is out of the norm, it doesn't deserve help :/ (same goes with asking about going ridiculously low with it) :)

Cheers man!

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
You won't be able to use fuses on the starter cable unless you can find some 750 amp ones! Don't use audio cable use 40mm battery cable and run it carefully so it is out of harms way. We have done this on other T4s and it isn't an issue but you have to use the right cable and make a very good earth connection.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Personally I wouldn't recommend Extending the Cranking Cable Length as
you are likely to get a Voltage drop over the extended length.

As 'NickLouse' said a cover would we a more responsible answer.

Spin the battery sideways in the bay, bespoke cover to hide it nicely shaped
to fit the bay & then run Split charge to the rear.

Everybody has their own opinions and ideas about how things should be done
and we make our own decisions as we go along.

I'm contemplating doing the exact opposite as my leisure battery does not seem to get the
charge I would expect from my split charge system with the battery being in the back of the van.
So thinking of putting mine in the engine bay next to Cranking battery and split charge that way
I reduce charging cable lengths, Voltage drop and hopefuly increase charge. Also have an option of
a Jumper battery if Cranker goes flat.

Best of luck with it and keep posted as to how its going
Mike

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Using the right sized cable will avoid any significant voltage drop. BMW fitted batteries in the boot on many cars for years, even the humble Mini had a battery at the back so it isn't that unusual. As I said before, we have done this mod several times and never had any loss of cranking performance. In fact, during severe cold spells you can expect a very slight improvement as the battery temp may be a degree or two higher.

·
Beardy Bus Driver
1,419 Posts
Would it be worthwhile to extend/rewire the negative to the starter? This must be a massive current so you'd need a really good negative terminal to body connection.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
You can get lots of engine bay covers as mentioned above some look pretty tidy too. Just think tho if you move the battery to the back your gunna need a dedicated easily accessible area for it and it will also add another potential problem area with the joins you will have to do in the bay, doesnt a battery look neater than a bunch of after market jb or the latter joing up lots of cables.

dont wanna kill your idea and go for it if its what you want to do!

Cables of the exact same size and type wont be cheap. And it wouldnt be sonething you want to scrimp on if you decide to do it!

Have fun bud!

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Looks like you have good advice here from Upspex - he does it for a livingT: and from the work he's done for me, knows his stuffA:

Look forward to seeing pics of the whole project

1 - 16 of 16 Posts