VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was thinking of getting some BBS LM replica alloys, but had a couple of questions I thought you'd probably be able to answer :)

Firstly, my van is lowered by 60mm (no bodywork modifications) so I was wondering what dimension rims I should be going for (what would fit at max without any rubbing).

Secondly, I've heard about rims needing to be load rated. Is this a legal requirement, or more of an insurance related thing, or "just" safety in a "worst case scenario" sense that I shouldn't need to worry about if the van is not hauling heavy loads?

Would using these just mean potentially paying more on insurance? I drive an "empty" van, if that makes any difference.

Maybe original BBS LMs would be better (minus the upfront cost)? Would these be load rated and recommended vs non load rated?

Thanks!

A:T:

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Secondly, I've heard about rims needing to be load rated. Is this a legal requirement, or more of an insurance related thing, or "just" safety in a "worst case scenario" sense that I shouldn't need to worry about if the van is not hauling heavy loads?
Its a legal requirement because of SAFETY, other road users to not just yours. The wheels youre fitting should be AT LEAST a rating equal to half the maximum axle load rating. Ideally much higher. Theres no interpretation, thats how it is and the only safe and proper way to do it.

Go on, ask the one about tyre safe load rating next.

If you cause an accident and your van is inspected, and youre found at fault due to dangerous wheels, your insurance is void, which means youre potentially in trouble with the law, and if theres any serious injuries or fatalities caused, youre seriously in trouble with the law.

Why would anyone with even the slightest intelligence risk it especially on these over inflated money pits.

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,769 Posts
mindriot;6503345 Why would anyone with even the slightest intelligence risk it especially on these over inflated money pits.[/QUOTE said:
You know me......mindriot....

I say "Just go for it and ignore any safety issues involved!"

It's a SERIOUS problem people using under-rated wheels and tyres! :eek:
Luckily (or not), can't happen in my chosen country....as they check ratings of both wheels and tyres at every test. (Also sidewalls/condition/date of the tyres!!!)

Just had to buy 4 new winter tyres....8mm tread, but half the studs were missing and they were 11 years old....after 7 years they get very "inspective" (sic) of the quality....any any accident would be a problem (even hitting an Elk/deer...which must be reported....they don't bother so much about pedestrians though LOL:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts