VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
came across this van that had this made and fitted by a conversion company last week

even if this was ... ( not typed this for a while I:) crash/pulltested bed then what would be the point

held down by 3 M10 bolts:eek: ONLY bolted through the van floor NOT through any of the floor reinforcement rails :eek:

:eek:

Spine compression anybody?

Razor sharp edges left on the metal put yer finger in that and it ain't coming out in one piece!

leg only tack welded :eek:

Obviously drilled the hole in the wrong place so just elongated it :eek:

Ive crossed them of my shopping list

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Name and shame.. shocking to think somone might strap their little un to that thinking its safe because a conversion company fitted it.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Jim have you seen there ebay add?

It says the following...

"ANOTHER (name of the company) PRODUCT WITH EXPERT FREE FITTING"

I beg to believe that this item is made or fitted by EXPERTS.

If this thread gets stopped then this forum is becoming a :*

For all them joining in on this thread please DONT give the admin reason to lock or remove this!

Its important that we play by the rulesT:

Jim does this fellow friend have a child or children to put in this"expert product fitted by experts"?

Rob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jim does this fellow friend have a child or children to put in this"expert product fitted by experts"?

Rob
TBH there is less chance of this coming separated from the floor if you do put a child on it .

there is less weight trying to pull it out, in the event of a crash

get some "grown up" on it and its more likely to come through windscreen after its hit the driver on the back of the head T:

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Hope they got there money back? Whats expert about that?!! You would do a better job ya self knowing who was gonna sit in it etc. Criminal :eek:

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
if that bed was fitted by my company id be very embarresed and someone would looking for a new job. in fact its disgusting that they them selfs dont realise the repercussions of this criminal instilation. the fact it has seat belts fitted means(in my view and apparently profesionaly fitted) that is designed to carry passengers. in the event of the unthinkable happening is it possible that the people responsable for the fitting could be tried for corporate manslaughter, basicaly due to the belts not up to the job of a restraint?

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
I must say I wouldn't feel too safe sat on that watching TV in my front room, never mind doing 70 on the motorway.

As said above, PM Bananavan for details as he obviously knows where it was made/installed (I don't, but if was in the Market for a bed I would be finding out !)

No naming and shaming/arguments/insults etc. and the thread won't be locked or closed etc, just PM for details T:

·
Pedal box guru
2,616 Posts
Three words spring to mind:-

DUTY OF CARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to Tony at styleline to pick up my new kombi bed this week,
seats are for sitting on,
beds for lying on!
two functions!
two jobs!
My seats are Genuine VW on Genuine VW mountings. my bed is not part of this structure!

Cheers Trev.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm shocked!!! how can the person that builds that sleep at night!!

I was at the scrap yard today and saw better constructed piles of steel

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
Does the maker wear a big hat and ride a horse? what a cowboy he must be ashamed of himself turning out garbage like this or have an endless suply of nightol and horlicks!Trouble is though that there is plenty of idiots out there that would scoop this up and think they have bought the real mccoy:eek:

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
if i'd made that and knew someone was cruising round with it in their van i'd be constantly worrying:eek:

Do you think the fitter/builder actually realises what a dangerous bodge pile of poo it is?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Its bad enought that a socalled trader/fabricator can construct somthing so poor and dangerous. But who would buy sutch utter carp.

I know price is important to most people . But saftey and life overides money.

Would not that contraption not be inspected along with your mot as it has fixed point seatbelts.

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
Its bad enought that a socalled trader/fabricator can construct somthing so poor and dangerous. But who would buy sutch utter carp.

I know price is important to most people . But saftey and life overides money.

Would not that contraption not be inspected along with your mot as it has fixed point seatbelts.
unfortunately its not subject to an installation check because its in the wrong MOT class,VOSA have some stupid rules and im so glad im not testing anymore they really did used to get on my mammories:eek:
Normal MOT test for this vehicle is class four where its not part of the test to check that the mounting points for the seat and seatbelts has been adequately re-enforced,its only required that they are secure,undamaged and opperate as designed and there is no corrosion within 30cm of the mounting points.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
unfortunately its not subject to an installation check because its in the wrong MOT class,VOSA have some stupid rules and im so glad im not testing anymore they really did used to get on my mammories:eek:

Normal MOT test for this vehicle is class four where its not part of the test to check that the mounting points for the seat and seatbelts has been adequately re-enforced,its only required that they are secure,undamaged and opperate as designed and there is no corrosion within 30cm of the mounting points.
It is with regret that people think that getting a MOT certificate gives approval that any seat installation is safe. If my understanding of class four testing (the class for T4) the only thing that is tested is the seat belt operation or signs of wear which may cause failure in operation or corrosion within a defined distance from seat fixings.

OK no corrosion and seat belts in good condition but the seat is attached to a piece of tin less 2mm thick with 2 M10 nuts, bolts and a washer. If you are lucky the seat may not collapse, if you are lucky the belt position may not cause serious damage to the tarsal or internal organs, if your luck holds out to now the next bit of luck is that the seat does not rip out the floor pan with you strapped to it. .If your luck continues to hold out then you are really lucky because you have purchased a seat at a price far less than equipment which has been tested to ensure your safety without the LUCK FACTOR.

Being involved in the conversion business I totally understand why you are glad you are out of the MOT business.

Seat safety continues to be a major issue on the forum and it will continue because the UK Government’s Department For Transport and VOSA allows the supply of untested equipment to flood the market without legislation. :*:*:*:*:*

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
It has to be said that such an installation should not be possible in Germany, because everything sold there has to be TUV approved - and without a TUV Approval certificate, or the ability to obtain one from the supplier (should you need it), you would not be legally allowed to drive a vehicle so equipped on German roads...

... I have all the TUV certififcates for all the equipment fitted to my van...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts