VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, looking at starting guitar (Its cheaper than another VW)

Apart from the Yamaha f310 can anyone recommend a cheap full size Acoustic guitar that's worth learning on for under £100

Have been to a couple of shops and they all recommend there own cheap brands but then they would wouldnt they.

Other names have looked at are Jim Deacon and Stagg and been told to avoid Martin Smith.

Advice would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
If it's only for learning, I wouldn't worry too much, as long as it's steel strung and not nylon and full size fret board, who cares??

I still have my first one, battered but still works, I've also still got my first JOHNSON electric. Nice to go back to every now and then for a change in sound.

Good Luck

·
Registered
179 Posts
A young girl I teach guitar to turned up with the cheapest load of junk imaginable. Took weeks for it to stop going out of tune every few minutes but now it has settled down it is one of the sweetest guitars I have come across. When you buy one try it out for comfort on the fretboard and make sure the strings don't catch on the frets. Ask the shop to demo it for you if you don't feel able. Also, a set of light strings are better for a novice.

·
Registered
88 Posts
what i have learnt like a t4 or any thing else , it has to be "set up" right, or it wont play right, no matter how pretty or sounds like, as you progress long enough youll find out, such as its out of tune beyond 12th fret, warped neck, jammed truss rod, no matter how much £20 - £20,0000, if you go to music store ask how much to "set up" a guitar? please no take it for granted they just do it, dont be afraid to ask if you buy it from a good / propper music store ask if they "set it up" for you free of charge when you buy it, if not i me my self would walk away unless you happy to pay to get it properly set up some where at some point if it can be , but you know the price of "set up". when i started playing guitar music store told me and wish i had done what i have written as a beginner because the guitar is so sweet when its set up and easier to play, without the added bulldroppings such as too high an action, speak to pro guitar teacher before buying or in the store. buy the best you can afford. hope i make sense its late good luck

·
Registered
97 Posts
I know nothing about guitars but my daughter plays i spoke to my neighbor he owns a music shop and he lent her his own guitar to practice on its a ashton I don't know what model it is but she really likes it it sounds very good hope this is some help

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers guys, very helpful - regarding set up - will talk to some shops as have just managed to get an Ashton at a good price - its being picked up by wife -who has now told me i cant have it until my birthday at the end of the month!!!! :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts