VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, may be some one can throw some light on this for me. I have a 53 plate 2.5 130 T5 caravelle that keeps getting this gunk in the oil filler cap. Had water pump replaced and head gasket checked and was told all ok,but this problem still keeps coming back.Took the van on a 100 mile run today, got back and checked the cap again. The cap was wet with this beige stuff any ideads ?
thanks for any info.I:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Have you changed the oil? If the oil and water is mixed together (due to a previous problem), the water can condense out when the engine is hot and end up on the filler cap (amongst other places I'm sure. At least that's my understanding.

·
Registered
354 Posts
the other thing that could cause this is an oil cooler thats cooled by water,these sometimes burst internally causing head gasket looking symptoms,not sure if ur van has a cooler on it but worth the thought

·
Registered
354 Posts
u say had the head gasket checked i misread and thought it said changed?? no one can internally check the head gasket with oil and water mixing,it can be checked in various ways i.e emissions check into header tank and pressure test on header tank however if water mixing with oil the headgasket could still be away as oil pressure will be greater than water pressure whilst the van is running and oil can be being pumped into the water system through the tiniest hole in the gasket. I advise removing the head if the oil is white/milky and skimming and pressure testing the head,obviously if all other external avenues have been explored first,ie oil cooler etc

·
Registered
736 Posts
you had water pump replaced as i assume was found to be faulty by who ever was diagnosing gunk on filler cap, if water pump was actually faulty was it replaced correctly and did they change the oil + filter at same time ? if not then must be done.

You had expansion tank tested for exhaust gases so think head gasket very unlikely

Do you normally only travel short journeys which could be your cause of gunk on cap if water pump was not at fault ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Guys, thankyou for all the info on this problem.Yes i had the oil+filer change when the water pump was replaced,and yes i do a lot of short jounarys to work etc,(5 miles there and back ) but i though the water pump was going to be the end of this.The local garage told me the oil cooler was ok (tested) so was the head gasket so it was down to the water pump.I also came on here and ask you guys and the reply was the same, so i wondering what else?:*

·
Registered
93 Posts
When I worked at VW Main dealer we used to see as common place a little mixed oil on water on the filler cap. If you have done lots of short journeys that could be part of it. My only concern is what is the oil like in the sump and in and around the head?

What colour is the oil in the sump and is there any gunk on the dipstick or in the the tube it sits in?
Maybe take the rocker cover off and look to see if its full of gunk on top of the head. If it is head gasket will be defo.

But if a little on the cap and your doing very short journeys I would not worry.*<:)>*<:)>

·
Registered
736 Posts
If your only doing 5 miles there and back this is exactly same distance i used to do and always had gunk on cap as oil never reaches full operating temp to evaporate condensation now im doing double the distance with short motorway journey no gunk at all.
I used to remove cap every week to clean and a 200 mile round trip once a month to stop it getting to bad

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi and once again thanks for all your in put.I had the oil change about 3 times now and the local garage tell me that the colour of the oil is what it suppost to be.No gunk on the dipstick or in the channel only in the oil filler neck and cap. I keep cleaning the cap every week just so the build up is not too bad, apart from that i dont know what else to do :*? only to take the van on a long run every other week. :*

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
i had this on a 3.0 omega and it was because the oil temp condensates with the cold air around the engine space and the oil residue and moisture emulsified insde the cap. was only bad in the winter really but because i only did short journeys too it never got hot enough in the engine bay to stop it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
As pointed out in a previouse response we have the exact same problem my wife uses or van every day for work and oly doe's abot five miles a day and at the end of every week i check the engine over and every week we have gunk in the oil filler neck and covering the cap.took it for a 200mile run camping last weekend came back checked no gunk.

·
Registered
736 Posts
i take it you have now ruled out coolant loss if so and you have had expansion tank tested for exhaust fumes then head gasket ruled out then gunk is something you have to live with if only doing short journeys, hope this puts your mind at rest

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Mine does it ,its used about 10 miles per week ! and sometimes it stands idle for two-three weeks (now the spare van ,The merc has retired it) and its gunky i took of the inlet and rocker cover in panic and its all clear inside ,all levels normal .

·
Banned
102 Posts
if the oil is fine and the van isnt useing water the `gunk`is caused by condensation due to short journeys
i would imagine theres a breather system somewhere on the rocker cover if so clean this out it will help
*<:)>

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A big thankyou to all your replys on this matter, its nice to know a problem shared is a problem halfed.
Many thanks. T:

·
Banned
1,762 Posts
Short journey,s are the worst for engines, it really is worthwhile to get the engine up to temp on every trip as it is building up gasses that are not getting burnt off until it reaches temp, and the gunk is a friendly way of telling you this, but just wiping it off is,nt stopping the damage being done,I do a lot of short trips myself and had the same problem until i got it up to temp on every trip

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
mine does the same, however i do 20-40miles a day around the valleys

when you discussed up to right temp to burn off gases, where would be best on the temp gauge, as mine sits slightly above half way most of the time, rising slightly if stuck in traffic?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts