VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm thinking of fitting bench style seats down either side of my T4 (SWB).

The same way a caravan often has them but lower, and with lift up lids for storage underneath.

I'd then have a table foot in between for a nice low table to screw into, and this table could drop down in between to make the bed (i.e fill in the gap between the two seats).

Has any one tried this? Do you think there is enough room? Any suggestions / ideas?

Thanks all.

Nick

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
i think someone had make this type of thing, seem to remember someone had a u shamed bench going round the back, obviously then you lose the use of most of your tailgate. have a look around at threads of interiors

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i doubt i'll do a u shape... like you said, i wouldn't want to loose the tail.

i'll check some more threads!

the main issue i can see is that the van may be too narrow - need to get a tape measure out.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I was just about to say Bigcat has a bench seat and lo n behold thats the one you have found..Daves looks good and works well for him and his charming lady..:D

The only draw back is you lose the ability to carry anyone in the back whilst driving as theres no safe way to have side facing seat belts...:(

( now sits backs and waits for the replies on seat belts and rear seats..I:)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'm thinking I can keep my front facing double in as well.... OK the bench seats won't be so long but i'm not living in it!

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Decided to go the "two's company " route as far as seating to travel, just wanted to see what I could build and at the time was able to get off cuts from work for nowt.
The section of bed across the left hand side in the rear of my bus can be taken out to allow long stuff to be loaded on occasions. I can also take out all bar one upholstery cushion as well and have a single bed set up if I want to.

Was also certain that I didn't want any 3/4 bed compromise, 125mm memory foam and comfort all the way!

Since these pics were taken all the pillars have been carpetted and the appearance is now almost good !

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
heres mine, pretty much copied greengekos I: nearly finished now, going for an inset cooker when funds allow.
really glad i went for this option over rock and roll, loads better imo

more pics in my build thread
Spread the wealth of information is what i say, looks wicked does it make in to a bed for 2 like mine? are you off to Lobbs would love to see it T:

·
Registered
144 Posts
hey matt yeah ive got 2 ply infills like yours which slot in, ive used 2cm box steel instead of timber for the supports takes less than 2 min to put together and the storage is huge. wont be at the lobb im afraid but will hopefully be floatin around a few of the shows this year T:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts