VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 501 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Build thread!
Shes a 2000 2.5tdi, with intercooler, remap etc to around 128, K&N etc in super condition but ready for some attention. only 84k from new (as of Jan '11) already had webasto roof, alloys, side bars, decent stereo and parrot bluetooth, VW history.. lovely :)

Quick index:

Page 1 - Insulation - Barn doors, nearside rear panel, start of offside
Page 2 - Insulation- Offside panel, refit play, new floor
Page 3 - Carpet lining- Barn doors, nearside rear panel & arch box
Page 4 - Carpet lining - Stretchy on barn doors & internal mouldings
.............LED fittings and regulator assemblies
.............Insulation - roof area
.............Roof lining carpet and refit with new LED fittings
Page 5 - Start of Seating build with aluminium extrusions
.............Bumpers heat gun treatment
.............Seats/bed cladding and soundproof foam
Page 6 - Webasto sunroof re-cover
Page 7 - start building long side of L shaped seating
Page 8 - Remove K&N filter and fit standard airbox
.............Step covers arrive, replace rear badges, and digression onto motorbikes ;-)
Page 9 - Carpet lining - second barn door
.............Make leisure battery tray, mount RCDs etc
Page 10 - bed frame completed and memory foam cut to size
Page 11 - upgraded Headlight loom, and in-dash digital voltmeters
.............Side window installed in sliding door
Page 12 - first cushion made on new sewing machine
.............Eberspacher Installation
Page 14 - build of full height end storage unit
Page 16 - build rest of rear cabinets
............. cover A pillar with alcantera cloth
Page 17
..............Eibach Springs fitted
..............Van-X curtains fitted
..............VW front mudflaps fitted
..............Replacement sliding door mounts
..............12v sockets mounted and wired in
..............12v laptop charger
Page 18
..............Cab Headlining and A Pillars
Page 19
..............Ambient Lighting in footwells
..............Waeco CDF-25 Fridge freezer and mounting unit.
Page 20
..............Repainting door cards and trim
..............Carpetlining lower half of doors
Page 21
..............adding additional vent to cab for Eberspacher
Page 22
..............Top-of-dash display pod for satnav screens etc
..............USB power unit built into dash for satnav feed
..............Replace Parrot kit and Alpine head unit with Kenwood
Page 23
..............CB radio install, display and main unit, & box mike and controller etc
Page 27
..............LED door handle mod, roof box
Page 28
..............Major Dash mods, Passat Hazard switch, integrated satnav install
Page 29
..............Relocate CB display screen, paint new dash topper, mats
Page 30
..............Customise Roofbox
Page 31
..............Passenger 'sleep' cushion
Page 32
..............Cosmetic updates
Page 33
..............Dashcam installation, Fit Cruise control, hidden safe
Page 34
..............Extra 12v socket, Service & cambelt, Sachs HD shocks

This is as she arrived to me in January 2011:

This is now the start of my build, with the first post being 11/1/11:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've just started to insulate my new van, ready for the next stages :)

Just done one rear door to get a feel for it so far.

Ply panel off, surface wiped etc:

bubble insulation (with double-sided foil) shaped and lining the whole of the inner structure, stuck on with spray glue (Used a small wallpaper roller to smooth out as far as possible!)

Celotex blocks cut to shape and fitted. (BARGAIN! Local Travis Perkins had a bunch of damaged panels, let me just have them..) Eco-plastic insulation wool packed in all the beams, gaps etc (other than round the mechanism, didnt want it jamming) and then Aluminium foil tape to seal.

PLastic sheet to seal the whole thing, sealed with waterproof tape.

Ply panel back in place. (Cloth/carpet lining will follow later!)

I'm enjoying this :)

Ben

·
Registered
318 Posts
Re: Just started to insulate... [pics]

spot on thats how i did mine. youll find thermal wrap is good and sound deadning. i did mine 3 layers thick thou :eek:
in the awkward areas i used recycled plastic bottle insulation as well. which dosent soak up moisture like a sponge.

the added advantage of sound deadening with the thermal wrap has two benefits, warmth and very light wait which is what you need for an aerodynamic brick on rollerskates. :(

youll find van nice and warm and quite when driving! keep up the quality work T:

i also waxoyiled as well which will look after time spent and your investment! :D :ILU:

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Ah ok, I've only done one layer of the bubble/foil stuff. The recycled bottle insulation though is exactly what I'm using, its in every possible nook and cranny there!

Thanks for the feedback, I was basing what I was doing on stuff I'd read before finding this site, but its always different when you start to do it yourself!

Cheers :)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

This mornings fun:

I finished the other rear door off, and started on the short rear panel:

All the beams and verticals are packed out with eco-recycled plastic wool insulation, foil tape over all the little holes etc :)

:)

Quite enjoying this now!

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts

Cook a turkey in there LOL: Looks a tidy job fella T: Dont forget the floor I: (like i did)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

Looking like a nice job your doing there, am just about to re do mine again and i am going to copy the way you have done it.T:T:T:

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks all :)

I'm pleased with how its going, though its taking me longer than I expected - but I dont mind that, I'm quite enjoying it :)

The ECO recycled bottle insulation is from B&Q, in with their normal loft insulation, looks just the same only a bluey/green colour. That's it in the picture below...

It doesn't itch, at all! It doesnt hold moisture the same either apparently, and its absolutely fine to work with, (I hate the feel of normal loft insulation so this is a good thing!!)

It seems to go a long way too. I've spent ages with a long narrow screwdriver poking it into every little hole to fill up all the beams etc :)

I need to pause now - Knees hurt, running out of Aluminium foil tape, hands are black and fluffy from the combination of spray glue and fluffy insulation!!

Anyway - Sliding door now done! This was quite fiddly, I was very careful to avoid affecting the lock mechanisms with the insulation, so 'sealed' all that into its own space with the bubblewrap stuff before starting on the rest of it. There are some fiddly shapes in the door too. Not difficult, any of it, but definately fiddly.

So far Ive used - One full roll of B&Q double sided foil wrap stuff, thats literally just run out. Almost two rolls of Aluminium tape. 1 full roll of recycled insulation, thats the second one just opened in the picture. A quantity of cellotex, but not fussed about that, it was free! Still on first can of spray glue too.

I bought three rolls of the bubblewrap stuff - reckon that was spot on for walls and doors, but dont think it will be enough for floor/ceiling as well. I bought three cans of spray, may be too much. I bought three rolls of insulation - Thats probably fine. Will work out a definitive list when Ive finished, though I'm going to have to go and buy more cellotex, all the stuff I have left is about 10cm thick, and thats too much by a good margin!

Thanks for the feedback, all :)

Ben

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Today's progress somewhat disrupted due to visitors and family and having to buy and fit a new battery etc etc.. Anyway, update:

Removed the old racking. This took AGES - whoever put it together used about 400 screws, and the screwheads were all made of cheese, you only had to look at them and they melted, no grip at all. Fun!

Racking out, then a bit of fun removing the ply lining from that side, and then we're ready to go:

The time consuming bit is getting the recycled wool into every nook and cranny and hole to fill up and insulate all the beams and crossmembers etc. reckon it has to be worth it though!

Getting through that aluminium foil tape too... :)

Fun times!

Next step: fill up all the hollows.. I'm tempted to continue but it's 11pm already!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

OK, so I carried on, its now 1am!

Tried it slightly different on this side. Completely lined with thermal wrap as shown above, but I thought I would see how it was to just use the ECO recycled insulation wool, to fill everything up, and then put another layer of thermal wrap on top.

Have to say, it's loads easier to do this!

Pics:

Space:

ECO insulation:

Cover and foil tape:

That went well, so I carried on doing it this way:

Again, good times.

·
Registered
57 Posts

because u have the bubble foil, will u need to put in a vapor barrier? ive put roc wool in mine as it was getting thrown out and have plyd but have been told to put up a barrier before the ply. i was planning on taking the lot out and putting the bubble foil on the out side skin and then putting the roc wool back in. ive packed it in so that it wouldnt all fall down over time. vapor barrier needed then?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

That's exactly what I've done here. A full lining of the bubble foil thermal stuff, then the wool (or a combination of Celotex and wool) then seal the lot with another layer of double-sided bubble foil, using aluminium foil tape to completely seal all the edges...

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts

Holy insulation overkill, thats awesome bud T:T:T: You will be snug in there all year round, make sure you have adequate ventilation when you are sleeping in it. T:T:T:

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Do you think ventilation will be an issue? I hadn't given that a vast amount of thought tbh. I haven't covered up the two vents either Side behind the wheel arches..but they let air out rather than in, they have flaps against inbound airflow..

There's a draught under the rear doors at the moment, I assumed I would deal with that in due course..!

All input appreciated!

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts

Its always an issue mate especially when heating the van in the winter and sleeping/cooking in it. Cheapest front ventilation is wind deflectors and perhaps a couple of decent sunroofs or proper low profile caravan roof vents. I have an awning to use this year so hopefully i will be able to leave the van door open all the time when we are with the van which will give better ventilation.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Todays progress.. not fully documented, went over to my mums to do all the flooring etc and didn't have the camera with me!

Anyway:

Finished off the drivers side, got all the ply panelling put back into place, did all the floor work.. Next step is the rooflining, but not going to have time to get to this for a little while!

Panelling restore in progress, starting to do the space under the arch boxes etc

Jump to the end of the day and a scrappy iPhone pic to show the new flooring in place!

Took longer than I would have liked, but v pleased with progress for a quick weekend job..

Ben

·
Registered
506 Posts

that is awesome pal, you're thread has helped me no end, this is going to be the first job to our van when we get it saturday!

Have you done the floor and roof?

Any special tools needed?

How many rolls or what have you used and where from mate?

Nice one pal. Cheers for taking the time

1 - 20 of 501 Posts