VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this is my second attempt at posting this, my first attempt disappearing into the ether.
I have two friends who have had T5's. 2.5's . Both have bent a con rod
Is this a common issue ? With commonly known causes ??.
I'm buying my friends off him. it's a 2006 2.5 174BHp with a bent con rod.

The van suddenly started drinking water. My friend filled it back up and it drained again very quickly but still ran fine. He filled it again at which point it was hydraulic'd.

Another friend and i think it is the head gasket or head. Reason being we think whist engine was running the turbo pressure kept the blowing the water somewhere else. Once the turbo pressure was gone the water went into the cylinder.

So the head is off for an x ray. One piston has a slight discrepancy.

I've not looked at the bore yet . if it is scuffed are these block re-borable or do they need a liner or a re-coat.

I've also read the oil coolers can cause water getting into the oil is this something that can lead to this kind of fault or is it just a head thing.

Any enlightenment is good enlightenment

thank you

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why do you guys think so much.

A full head service is £200

OEM piston £145
OEM con-rod £125
OEM head gasket kit £115

I realise there will be more parts than that

With regard to the bore i'm willing to put money on it not being scored. I will however find this out at the weekend

The van is costing peanuts it seems a shame to break such a lovely van it's got so many factory extras and is a sweet van

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Do you have access to erwin.volkswagen.de or another source of the workshop manual? ;)

If you have that and you're handy with the spanners then at least you'll get a great van when you're done.

You can't rebore the block but if you can find a decent metal-sprayer, you'll be able to get done with Nikasil or whatever the latest stuff is.

Don't forget the pistons are different for 1/2 & 3/4/5. VW say to 'replace conrods as a set' presumably as they will be all in the same tolerance for length. You have to be careful with that as you have to measure the piston projection at TDC is you replace a piston or use a short engine. There's a table to select the correct thickness head gasket.

VW do a 'base engine' which comes complete with cylinder head, tandem pump, water pump & oil filter - just bolt your ancilliary bits on & off you go.

They also do a 'short engine' which is minus the c/head.

Either way, rebuild or buy new, you'll be in for quite some work, I hope you rebuild it & have the satisfaction of knowing it's a job well done.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I have two friends who have had T5's. 2.5's . Both have bent a con rod
Is this a common issue ?
Well it's quite common in Kiddy if you know of two I:

Welcome to the forum townie......
I would have thought a engine transplant would be easiest BUT you need to find a good lump at the right £££ :*

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now Oily you've got me wondering who you are ha ha. Only as i know a few T5 lovers from the area probably are on here. None of them have bent con-rods tho. But yea two mates from kiddy both who bent rods.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
...There's a few more than two around here dude. I have to keep my back to the wall LOL:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mickle thanks for your reply

in answer no i have no access to a manual yet..

My intention if i go ahead will be to take the lump out and give it to an engine builder then put it back in myself i think.

The head is already off the van so i'm off to check it out in the morning and see what the x ray said.

I'm surprised about buying a set of con-rods. I'm quite surprised VW would go the lengths of measuring every con-rod. If they did you ought to be able to buy a certain length. They'd have to be marked. I can understand having a thicker head gasket after a head skim. I'll certainly be asking about it tomorrow now so thanks for that.

I'm also surprised there aren't a few people out there doing the coating. I used to ride moto-cross and was always getting bores re-coated. A lot more work on a two stroke will ports an all.

Either way, breaking it or fixing it there's going to be some scraped knuckles and cursing that's for sure ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts