VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now then! Recently got my first van (52 plate long nose Caravelle) Only came with one ignition key, has anyone bought a spare? How much/ where from? CheersT:

·
Registered
23 Posts
There is a guy on the car park at B and Q in Workington does them(mr keys), I got one off him, still cost £50 though, lot cheaper than dealerships by all accounts. Take vehicle you want spare key for if you go to someone like this, won't just cut you a key without seeing it :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Paid £75 for the VW dealer to cut and code - including getting their computer to talk to Germany, it seemed complicated and the first time they couldn't do it because the connection was down. Mine's a 2003 2.5 tdi. I thought the price was OK for a guaranteed product, they want hundreds for some other makes.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Everybody shoud consider having a skellington key, wrapped in plastic and 3-in-1 oil lubed, cable tied underneath the van.

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,099 Posts
Everybody shoud consider having a skellington key, wrapped in plastic and 3-in-1 oil lubed, cable tied underneath the van.
That could be a very bad piece of advice IMO!
If a car is stolen and it was stolen and driven away with the key and there was no force or threat needed to obtain the key, then you could be having prolonged discussions with your insurance company.

A few months ago my car was stolen and driven away by the thieves using the keys to drive it away. The key was however locked away in my workshop (which was broken into), but I also had to send my 2nd key away to the insurance company as proof I still had it. They also stole the keys to the Subaru WRX I had in the workshop and that then cost £1500 to get new keys, locks, and alarm recoded.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tried my local Timpsons yesterday, no VW key but had a "key that would do"! They wanted £85!! Said needed to go to my van with computer gear to program chip... Ill be looking elsewhere I think....

·
Registered
158 Posts
paid £6 for mine on ebay and £3 to get it cut (mates rates) forgot to take out chip thingy though and van wouldnt start (snapped old key), they're tiny!!

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,099 Posts
Tried my local Timpsons yesterday, no VW key but had a "key that would do"! They wanted £85!! Said needed to go to my van with computer gear to program chip... Ill be looking elsewhere I think....
My Timpsons man had a machine that he pushed the key into. All done in the shop. he just told me to come back 15 minutes later.
I wonder if Timpsons are Franchises and it is down to the franchisee if they buy the box of tricks or not? (Mine was in a town of population around 5,000 so hardly a metropolis so I'd expect the bigger ones to have that kind of kit!)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts