VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully posting in the right forum....T:

Which is the best diesel engine for towing? 1.9, 2.4 or 2.5?

Aiming to get a T4 Van/Caravelle and would be aiming to tow my VW Beetle race car either on a full trailer or a-frame.

Is a T4 going to be okay for this occasional tow and if so which is the best engine to go for?

Many thanks

Lofty

·
Registered
565 Posts
I would go for the 2.5 TDI 102 for towing,

I occasionally tow a small two birth caravan which weighs around 950kg plus all the accessories and other stuff and it tows it no problem, plenty of power for the uphills T:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Talking to an AA bloke the other day he agreed that the 2.5 TDi was excellent for towing, he reckoned his Renault Traffic just wasn't in the same league. reckoned with the 2.5 you sometimes forgot there was a car on the back

·
Registered
769 Posts
Can't answer your question I am afraid but would love to see pictures of your Beetle! T:

·
Registered
115 Posts
2.5 TDi 102 bhp.

I don't have any experience with other T4 models and towing. However the AA have reasonable funds to afford what ever they think suitable for the task. That's the version in the T4 range they choose to have for towing vehicles with.

I towed a 1600KG Mini Digger with a full set of buckets behind my ex AA a few weeks ago. Including the trailer, I reckon roughly 2 Tonnes??

No drama, no problemo! Well impressed. :D

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Our 2.5 102 is great for towing. Plenty of pulling and stopping power. Have nothing to compare it to other than a 4x4 off road vehicles which have more power than enough, but I prefer the van as its a nicer drive

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can't answer your question I am afraid but would love to see pictures of your Beetle! T:
I'll be towing this around a few times a year ;)

Got this one as well though.....

[/IMG]

Thanks for all the replies folks. I didn't want to assume that 'biggest is best' but it would appear that the 2.5 is the way to go T:

Cheers

Lofty

·
Registered
769 Posts
I'll be towing this around a few times a year ;)

Got this one as well though.....

[/IMG]

Thanks for all the replies folks. I didn't want to assume that 'biggest is best' but it would appear that the 2.5 is the way to go T:

Cheers

Lofty
Look brilliant!

I had a 1965 back in the late '80s same colour as the first one but totally standard!

Miss it loads........ hang on...... mid life crisis coming up woohoo!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Lofty how you doing mate? still hanging onto the brace for me? Have you got a trailer yet? i may have something very nice for you if not...?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lofty how you doing mate? still hanging onto the brace for me? Have you got a trailer yet? i may have something very nice for you if not...?
Hi Jim,

Yep the brace is yours dude ;)

You got something van wise or trailer? T: I've been told it's cheap to hire trailers these days, so might do that as I'll only use it a few times a year.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
the best engine is definately the 2.5tdi but for the total best towing t4 you need a syncro this will get you and your trailer out of the muddy field there are a few of the ex transco ones around

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've got a 2.5tdi Syncro swb and tow almost every day with it. heaviest i pulled with it was around 3 ton and still got loads of power going up steep hills. the 4x4 really helps prevent tail swinging as well T:....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts