VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You're lying in your rock n roll bed and a small fire starts in your van. What's the best position to have your extinguisher fixed in the van?

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Close to hand as you leave the vehicle, but NOT near the source of a possible fire. That should narrow it down. P.S. have you had it serviced lately? Cheers, Tony.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
mines just behind the drivers seat..............but the size of it....well........if my van went up it would be like spitting on a bonfire LOL:LOL:

·
Registered
153 Posts
mines just behind the drivers seat..............but the size of it....well........if my van went up it would be like spitting on a bonfire LOL:LOL:
Yeah, I did some fire safety training recently and the guy demonstrated how ineffective extuingishers are. A 10ltr water one didn't even put out a couple of blazing cardboard apple boxes:eek: I asked him about the small powder one I intend on putting in the van and he said " just use it to break the window so you can get out " I think it was a bit tounge in cheek, but please dont rely on one these for your safety, get out as quick as possible and call the pros.

Jon

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
In the early days of having my van I was concious of the "How fast can we get outta here if we have a problem?" thing.

I can easily reach my slider door handle from bed ( sleep, feet at the back ) my extinguisher is just inside the slider at the bottom of the "c" pillar.

If I should have an engine fire, well I have to get to the extinguisher, but there is at least a firewall, but in the event of a fire in the back, I can get out quite fast and grab the extingiusher as I go.
A nasty scenario would be a fire in the awning if it was attached, but then, I can get out driver's side front after squeezing between the seats. I doubt my extinguisher could put out a burning awning.

Let's hope the need never arises.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good advice all round, I sleep feet toward tailgate so will probably screw extinguisher bracket to base of C pillar.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Interesting topic this. I think I will install a smoke detector, get out when it goes off, stand well back and claim on the insurance. Even a small fire would ruin the van.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ours is fitted to the side of the passenger seat base, think it must have been fitted there when Auto Sleepers carried out the conversion
it appears to be easy enough to grab in a hurry but yet doesn't seem to get in the way (missis never complains anyway) T:

Just fitted an optical smoke alarm this morning to replace the older Ionisation type that was previously fitted.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Under the pillow!

Not camped in my van yet but mine already has a bracket in the cab which I will use. I also plan on getting a fire blanket as well.
not camped in it yet...................shame on youLOL:LOL:LOL:
but on a serious note a carbon monoxide detector could save your life tooI:I:

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
i think a fire blanket is most important . if god forbid the fire got hold of you or a family member this would be the quickest way to put them out . smoke alarm , extinguisher (behind drivers seat ) and fire blanket blanket by my head end of the bed T:

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
I think the fire blanket makes sense.
Just gone to the top of my shopping list T:

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
wow..........your van must be the dogs.......if a fire blankets the top of your shopping listLOL:LOL:LOL:
but a fire blankets only good for certain fires.........a damp t towel would do the same jobI:

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
wow..........your van must be the dogs.......if a fire blankets the top of your shopping listLOL:LOL:LOL:
but a fire blankets only good for certain fires.........a damp t towel would do the same jobI:
true , but if someones on fire would you have time to get a towel out , wet it and use it T: . ikea sell fire blankets cheep :ILU:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts