VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks,

As I'm living in the van three nights a week and the British climate is doing what it does, I've forked out for a heater and am going to spend this weekend fitting it (hopefully not too much of it!).

I've several questions to ask the handy DIYers out there, and if any professionals like to chip in, you’re always welcome!

Where is the best place to fit the heater itself? I'm running a 3 seat Rib in the back and am debating whether it should go under there or under the drivers’ seat? All suggestions taken!!

Second, has anybody out there done this installation before and would be able to provide me with some pictures, and preferably detailed descriptions of what the chuffing heck I should be doing and what major calamities and pitfalls I face?!
Links to previous posts covering this that I’ve not found so far also!!

Thirdly, am I doing the right thing at all or should I just stop penny pinching and fork out for someone who knows exactly what they’re doing to install it? If so, can anybody tell of brilliant experiences with cheep as chips bills? I have reasonable engineering skills, will be using my mechanic mate and his garage, but don’t like effing about with things that could cost a bomb if I bugger them up. This would be a first time for both of us, so confidence isn’t the highest, but it seems simple enough!

As ever, expecting the T5 Forum to produce good fruit! Don’t let me down guys!

Cheers in advance,

Monkey

·
Registered
67 Posts
Been doing mine over the last few weekends - as above, followed the VW books guidance, i.e underneath the van, drivers side, on it's side. Some people prefer inside - I thought about under the drivers seat but have my leisure battery there. M

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking under the drivers as my leisure battery is under the passenger?

Anybody out there got any experience of a home fit under the drivers seat?

Thanks for your input so far guys,

Monkey

·
Registered
126 Posts
Glad you asked... I've just finished mine. under the passengers seat has complications of wiring loom (van) and fuel tank to engineer around. it's all documented with pics on my link below

mine had to go in the passenger due to an LPG tank under the van on the drivers side, and wanting a swivel passenger seat (so I couldn't get the leisure battery under the swivel)

The same principle would apply on the drivers side (or anywhere else on the van floor) just the main issues are that the exhaust gets hot, and if there's really tight bends in the exhaust it can weaken over time and crack it.

other things to watch out for is overheating the plastic casing due to poor fitting. in this case the fan sticks and burns the motor out. hence the plate I've used.

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=89322

Ribblesdale Auto Electric (Preston Eberspacher dealer) only fit them on the drivers side for the complications I encountered. on that side you have 2 options... in the seat base itself (like Mine) or under the van entirely on a specific bracket. The brackets do exist, a hardcore google and some phoning round will find the bracket, but it's in the order of £75 i think.

other candidate locations would be where the fridge 'normally' goes on the 3/4 style layout. from here you have access underneath to get the exhaust in.

i was advised to have the exhaust pointing out towards the edge of the van to stop build up in the channel next to the van exhaust. i chose to ignore this advice, and when i opened my engine bay with the heater on i got a good waft of diesel fumes - pretty sure this is ok, as long as there's a bit of a draft about.

hope this helps

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I fitted one (some pics maybe on my t5 LWB build thread)

Fitted under my passenger seat.

I was lucky to have a diesel heater as factory fit so could tap into this fuel supply rather than dropping the tank.

I did find that i kept dragging air into the system, Even through the clips were tight, so i tightend them again and still got air in the system. So i tightend them again and it stopped.

It took a while to fit (i think 2 days) but its always the same when you have not done one before.

I found room was tight under the passenger seat (on underside of van) and thats where i also mounted the fuel pump. But being such a tight space it was hard work fixing/tighting etc..

I also found that my angled steel exhaust was hitting everything no matter how i turned it around, So got a flexi exhaust in the end. Just wish i had it at the time of fitting.

But when fitted, even after all the swearingI:, The heater was brilliant T:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I will be looking at another under the floor drivers side when the new van arrives (ordered 24/11/2010), Last time I used the VW brackets but they are too expensive for the next one!!

Webasto quote almost £80 for the simple plate as I show on our website http://www.vwbooks.co.uk/t5.htm . I have found a metal fabricator locally so may look into getting something like the Webasto one made up this time.

It will be a case of 'watch this space' for progress.

Rod

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I will be looking into making up an aluminium prototype as soon as I get under the new vehicle so that I can get a price from the fabricator. As you say maybe getting a few extras made up.

It all hang on the delivery date of the new motor, end of Jan at the very best I guess.

Rod

·
Registered
569 Posts
My mate knocked me one up in his lunch hour for me, I would imagine any sort of engineers could do the same. mine is 2mm stainless folded and then lazer cut.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorted! Put it under the passenger!

Well, a few grazed knuckles later and under the strict supervision of Griff of Aprillia Performance (and with his tools and workshop and quite superior (spotting where things should go) intelect). I have heat in my van! And, not a minute too soon!

Well, as much as the advice was needed, all plans went out of the window and it practically placed itself. Under the drivers seat became, under the passenger seat. All joints, pipes and holes lined up with where we think VW planned for it to go. Sweet as a nut, apart from the eber mounting pattern, we hardly drilled a hole, vw seem to have them all there ready for us. Very pleased with the final result, in fact, couldn't be happier.

I'm down at Severn beach tonight camping out in the back of a distribution park beside the companies factory, and to say it's cold would be an understatement (and b'std windy). Just been down to start it warming up for an hour before I leave my desk. I can't wait, It was getting to the point of self harming over recent weeks (iceicles on the nose, the works) and tonight, I'll be sitting around in my boxers all chilled out. Now I just need to work out how to programme the 7 day timer!

Thanks to all that have contributed, you've been great!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Re: Sorted! Put it under the passenger!

Well, a few grazed knuckles later and under the strict supervision of Griff of Aprillia Performance (and with his tools and workshop and quite superior (spotting where things should go) intelect). I have heat in my van! And, not a minute too soon!

Well, as much as the advice was needed, all plans went out of the window and it practically placed itself. Under the drivers seat became, under the passenger seat. All joints, pipes and holes lined up with where we think VW planned for it to go. Sweet as a nut, apart from the eber mounting pattern, we hardly drilled a hole, vw seem to have them all there ready for us. Very pleased with the final result, in fact, couldn't be happier.

I'm down at Severn beach tonight camping out in the back of a distribution park beside the companies factory, and to say it's cold would be an understatement (and b'std windy). Just been down to start it warming up for an hour before I leave my desk. I can't wait, It was getting to the point of self harming over recent weeks (iceicles on the nose, the works) and tonight, I'll be sitting around in my boxers all chilled out. Now I just need to work out how to programme the 7 day timer!

Thanks to all that have contributed, you've been great!
Any chance of some photos?
It will be inside for me when I get one as we get too many floods & I want it to stay dry.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Re: Sorted! Put it under the passenger!

Hi Guys,

I would love a heater in my van, just out of curiousity what sort of costs are you looking at for an eberspacher heater? has anyone had one fitted by a garage? I am not sure i'm upto the standards of DIY mechanics needed to be messing with fuel lines etc...

Sorry to hijack!

R

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I will be looking into making up an aluminium prototype as soon as I get under the new vehicle so that I can get a price from the fabricator. As you say maybe getting a few extras made up.

It all hang on the delivery date of the new motor, end of Jan at the very best I guess.

Rod
Rod,

I would be very interested in purchasing a bracket if you do go down this route please.

Also your timescales work perfectly for me as I'm in the process of converting my van over this winter, so it won't be until well into next year that I will be looking at getting it ready for the next winter. So having a bracket waiting in the wings would be great.

Cheers Jason

·
Registered
126 Posts
rskardon - I think I was quoted in the order of £300 for fitting, so with the heater in as well you'll not get alot of change for a grand... mine was £300 off eBay + a new pump and a truck full of other bits to fit it... eber parts are not cheap!

the dealer wouldn't put it under the passenger side, as it's not a 'recommended' location... hence why i went to the bother I did with all the guards and lagging for the fuel tank - see my post...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I got my eberspacher fitted at local garage(webasto agent) first class technicians ,quite expensive,but excellent job. scotts of haddington,east lothian.
i turned up with my ebay bought kit and they fiited.wanted to put under floor but was persuaded to fit under drivers seat internally using websto flange. involved a 5" hole in floor and special tank fitting specifically for t5.
the way it worked out should have fitted all brand new webasto airtop supplied by them. quoted £700 plus vat fitting not much extra for dedicated t5 kit.happy enough with my kit but as cheap in long run and no hassle /searching/learning/buying if i,d just got them to supply and fit.worthwhile investment when van is much more than just a van.
cheers neil

1 - 20 of 21 Posts