VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i've got a 3 yr old gt mountain bike,, just wanting to know whats the best mods to do to it, as i want to use it more on the road but still have the versatility to go down canal paths trails etc?
Putting semi slick tyres on but what else, or any other comments welcome???

·
Registered
353 Posts
make it a fix gear
take the front break off
get nise wide high bars
put 70psi in each tyre
you wont believe how fast you will go

·
Registered
530 Posts
I wouldnt personally make a mountain bike fixed gear, but single speed is a good plan, can beat most cars off the lights as there is no chain slack, can get a dmr conversion kit for chainreactioncycles for around 30 quid which comes with a cog a chain tensioner and the spacers needed to fit the cog on the freehub body, saves weight too T: I ran 32t front ring 14t rear for a mix of acceleration and speed, really is great fun and can tackle all but the steepest of hills.

If you want a bit more versatility from slicks for the odd venture off road, get some halo twin rails, run them at 85 psi and they run on two raised rails in the middle of the tyre, i had them they were fast as f*** but lean it over into a corner and the rest of the tyre comes into contact with the road, very very very fast tyres, but strong enough to go offroad a bit with and ram up kerbs, plus you can get them in pink LOL:

·
Registered
427 Posts
the best upgrade i did to my basic model GT aggressor a few years ago was some nice MAVIC wheels , totally transformed the way it rode . for speed and turning and weight . I was told it would be faster if i did this but i thought yeh right - they were right it flys with lighter wheels T:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I wouldnt personally make a mountain bike fixed gear, but single speed is a good plan, can beat most cars off the lights as there is no chain slack, can get a dmr conversion kit for chainreactioncycles for around 30 quid which comes with a cog a chain tensioner and the spacers needed to fit the cog on the freehub body, saves weight too T: I ran 32t front ring 14t rear for a mix of acceleration and speed, really is great fun and can tackle all but the steepest of hills.

If you want a bit more versatility from slicks for the odd venture off road, get some halo twin rails, run them at 85 psi and they run on two raised rails in the middle of the tyre, i had them they were fast as f*** but lean it over into a corner and the rest of the tyre comes into contact with the road, very very very fast tyres, but strong enough to go offroad a bit with and ram up kerbs, plus you can get them in pink LOL:
sorry to jump in but i do like to sound of this single speed jobby .. might have to do some shopping .. my bike ain't going anywhere near a mountain so the 15 odd gears are more hindrance than use .. so a 32 front a 14 rear T:

·
Registered
530 Posts
sorry to jump in but i do like to sound of this single speed jobby .. might have to do some shopping .. my bike ain't going anywhere near a mountain so the 15 odd gears are more hindrance than use .. so a 32 front a 14 rear T:
Yeah well rear cogs are quite cheap at about a fiver each so I started off with 32 16 but that was a bit slow once up to speed, so went to 32 14 with 26 inch wheels. Now got a dawes hybrid which was running 32 18 but then i swapped it to 32 14, which coupled with the bigger wheels gives a very nice cruising speed and can just about get up most hills,

do it you wont regret it, it is so so much fun T:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just gonna buy some halo twin rails see how i get on with them first?
White or Pink though?
Also any reccomend sone decent handlebars want bars on the side really???
O and need a new speedo as mine has decided to pack up after thought it was just the battery.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Just gonna buy some halo twin rails see how i get on with them first?
White or Pink though?
Also any reccomend sone decent handlebars want bars on the side really???
O and need a new speedo as mine has decided to pack up after thought it was just the battery.
I would go white, or lime green? :ILU:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just wondering what i should be looking for in a road bike, or should i just stick with my hybrid mountainbike i've got?
Really got back into my cycling now so thats why im thinking of having both maybe?

·
Registered
129 Posts
G1 - you'll no doubt get good advice about brands, set ups, groupsets, heck, even colours. The best bit of advice I reckon is to get a bike that fits you. Not as simple as it sounds. There's plenty out there that represent good value (Cube, Boardman) but they're only good value if they fit you properly. Get to try out as many as you can - not just a sit-on in the shop, but a decent ride to get a feel of the angles & geometry.
I used to be a wrench monkey when I was at college and it never failed to amaze me how many people would buy a bike without trying it properly or not taking us up on the 'free set-up' offer.
Anyway, if you're riding for shorter distances but at race pace, look for something set up for this - steep angles. If you're more of a mile-muncher look for the more relaxed angles you'll find on 'sportive' frames.T:T:

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Thats some good advice above.

THe bike thats right for you is one that fits you for the discipline that your doing; one thats as expensive as you can afford; and one that lets you have enough money for the 'little' bits that add up to cost more than you'd think - lights, helmet, gloves, shoes, waterproof, camelback, 'on road' tools,....but ultimately, the one thats the correct size.

Cycling is brilliant, and the machinery out there now is unbelieveable. I have 4 bikes, all for different jobs, and they all do what I want perfectly. Thats maybe not what your after.... So what I'd suggest is:

have an open mind,
undrestand that looks and how it feels static in the shop are not how it rides ( my most expensive and most uncomfortable bikes 'in a shop' are the best on the road)
ask stupid qu's in many shops
ask again on here

BUt depending on how road/mopuntain you want to balance - hybrids or hard tail mountain is probably what your after. Its a buyers market and there is a lot of choice - do it soon!

Good luck

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
If you are going for the twin rails the Pink are the heaviest.

so you what to make your MTB more road ish... what is the budget?

also what is the spec of the current bike?

some ideas.

if the bike has disc brakes get another wheel set built up with disc hubs and a 700c rim and fit new rotors and cassette and tyres/tubes. also if the cassette is a different size use a sram Powerlink so you can easily change chains as well.

Or slicks and a bigger chain rings

Or buy a bike for the commute and keep the MTB for MTB use.

Pop over to http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/index.php as it is a commonish question.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Fixed gear is a beautiful way to ride a bike. Every cyclist should have a love affair with fixed at some time in their career. My avatar is a BT track frame from Australia, Mavis disc wheel, and a monster gear. Beautiful......................:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts