VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the height of the standard van set-up, I don't want to lower it, but 'd like some better control. It's a bit bouncy and hard. What's the consensus on the best shocks/dampers for a non-lowered front?

·
Registered
115 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brilliant, thanks Airhead, I'll drop in to Huddersfield as I'm up there a lot at the moment. The price is a bit shocking, ho-ho! (I didn't say that.)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New stock ones will make a lot of difference.
I wondered about that - it's only done 168k miles and runs like a dream now I've blocked the EGR and cleaned the MAF, and to be fair the ride is only a bit hard and bouncy when I'm on country roads. It might be worth giving the van a present of new standard shocks, and a whole lot cheaper.
Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
can you clarify "hard" in the context of "bouncy"?

Not two terms I'd come across together when talking about suspension LOL:

;)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
can you clarify "hard" in the context of "bouncy"?

Not two terms I'd come across together when talking about suspension LOL:

;)
Hard in the sense that the potholes are felt hard and bouncy in the sense that the recovery is not a smooth in-out but a shock. I didn't mean like when the shocks are knackered and it bounces on the springs and is dangerous. When there's plenty of weight in it everything calms down, but I keep it as light as possible to reduce diesel consumption - which is good at 40 mpg average.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hard in the sense that the potholes are felt hard and bouncy in the sense that the recovery is not a smooth in-out but a shock. I didn't mean like when the shocks are knackered and it bounces on the springs and is dangerous. When there's plenty of weight in it everything calms down.
After reading the above, have you checked all the suspension bushes and steering joints are in good order, nuts and bolts tight etc?

Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Hard in the sense that the potholes are felt hard and bouncy in the sense that the recovery is not a smooth in-out but a shock. I didn't mean like when the shocks are knackered and it bounces on the springs and is dangerous. When there's plenty of weight in it everything calms down, but I keep it as light as possible to reduce diesel consumption - which is good at 40 mpg average.

Fair play - I just couldnt see how a shock could be bouncy (I was interpreting this as soft) and hard (i.e. lack of travel / stiff compression)

T:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts