VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to VW Transporters, so hoping for some advice on a couple of things.
Which is the best engine, a 1.9tdi or a 2.5tdi in a late 1990's T4?
Which engine are prone to more faults?
I need too drive it myself, but the 1.9tdi van i am thinking of buying smokes heavily on start up, but clears once warm (probably normal).
Likewise, the 2.5tdi van i'm told runs fine but when going up hill loses a bit of power, i know the maf sensor was replaced in April if that helps with any advice.
Hopefully non of the above faults are likely to be really expensive repairs?
The van would only have light loads used in it 95% or the time, and i'll probably only do about 500 motorway miles in a year.
Any advice from the more knowledgable members of this forum is much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Go for the 2.5tdi. When they say "loses power on the hills", how much power do they mean? If it drops from 75-80mph to 65mph on a really steep hill, thats pretty normal. Its 2.5 tonnes of van, you cant expect it to pull like a car.
If the 2.5 is in a good a condition as the 1.9, then i would take the 2.5 every time.

·
Registered
233 Posts
ill agree with andy on that 1.9d is very sluggish from factory but if its a tdi conversion then its the best way to go mine has a tdi fitted and she flies everywhere up or down hill :D:D:D:D

·
Registered
39 Posts
i have a 2.5 888 special pall like a train and does 39 to 42 mpg if it was me i would go for the 2.5 so long as you keep it serviced and look after it all the best with finding a good one and take your time in finding one not like me jump in head first then cost a lot to put right ok now best van i have ever had T:T:T:A:

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
. Its 2.5 tonnes of van, you cant expect it to pull like a car.
a swb unlaiden with a driver is between 1600 and 1700 kg so they aint much more than a car mate,

my tdi converted 1.9 combined with the lower ratio 1.9 gearbox pulls like a train and eats hills like any car

with the old engine it was awful up hills!

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
Don't listen to all the nonsense regarding the 19td... I really don't know what's wrong with people on here sometimes with all the ridiculous comments about the 19td as they mainly come from those that have converted to the old tdi, therefore they are a little misguided with their comments as they obviously had a shot 19td to go down the conversion route in the first place..

The 19td is a perfectly good unit and mine (low mileage and well serviced) is particularly good, it costs less to maintain than the others, does 40 mpg all day long and doesn't have any ecu issues, as it doesn't have one LOL:

So my advice would be to try the various units and see for yourself which one you prefer but don't discount the 19td as I personally think it has a lot going for it and of course it can bumble along on veg oil.... :)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
there was very little wrong with my td from a mechanical point of view(weep from camshaft seal was all that needed attention and had 117k on it), i had the engine in the van for nearly 2 years before removing it and selling it and had done 20k miles in my ownership. it really was too gutless for its purpose, the proof in this can be seen by the weekly occurance of disappointed people on the forum looking for more power from them. (which further kills the efficiency)

from a design point of view the crank nose pulley is far from ideal and is the achillies heel of the engine. The only reason i bought a Td t4 because that was the best engine i could afford at the time and the 2.5 (which wouldve been my choice) was too expensive.

There is no way 40mpg is possible from a 1.9td, the manual states 34mpg at a constant speed of 55mph, any slight incline and there goes your efficiency. i only ever got low 30's from mine prior to conversion.

Yes the td does have a few pros, the only one in my eyes being that being a mechanically controlled engine it doesnt have aging electronics to worry about in the future. As for the veg oil comment the golf tdi engines run on the stuff too and return much better mpg.

Having had over two years running the 1.9td engine and 10months of driving round in the converted TDi engine i feel my two pence worth is valid.

Of the two options you have mate id buy the 2,5tdi every day of the week if you can afford it

·
Registered
819 Posts
With regards to your which one costs more / less to repair depends on its history but few points id like to add.
If you are going for the 2.5 then be aware there are 2 types, one 88 BHP and one 102 BHP which is more or less the same as the 88 BHP but dead easy to tell which it is, as soon as you open the bonnet the 102 has an intercooler staring u in the face.
Ive had a 102 with 130k and full dealer history and it was great but fuel economy was not great.
With regards to repair costs, the 2.5 has more electronic goodies and sensors to go wrong, where as the TD is more mechanical than electrical so less to go wrong but with only 68 bhp this is the down side. The last thing to consider is the 2.5s have the loveley expensive clutch with the dual mass flywheel as fitted to most later cars £££ price tags there as the 1.9s dont.
I cutrrently have a 1.9TD which has suffered and seized and wwill be having a 1.9TDi 90 BHP in it. I would probably have done this anyway even if the engine had not failed.

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
There is no way 40mpg is possible from a 1.9td, the manual states 34mpg at a constant speed of 55mph, any slight incline and there goes your efficiency. i only ever got low 30's from mine prior to conversion.
Sorry 40 mpg is what my 1.9td returns whether or not that was your experience it is most certainly mine and incidentally which manual did you get those figures? I have all the manuals relating to my van and it does not state the figures you have mentioned. Perhaps your search for the illusive power you needed had an impact on the fuel economy your van returned as I can guarantee mine returns 40mpg and drives absolutely flawlessly

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
figure was straight from the vw manual/handbook for the transporter, it states the 50kw diesel engine (1.9td abl) consumes 6.9 litres per 100km which if you do the math comes out as 34.08mpg.

to keep it on topic the 2.5 tdi consumption's are stated as follows (manual gearboxes in all cases and in van/kombi trim)

88bhp -34.08 (same as 1.9td)

102 bhp - 36.18 (the most efficient factory t4 setup)

straight from the golf handbook the TDi engine fuel consumption is stated as being (combined)

90bhp(1Z/AHU) - 46.12 mpg

Given this is in a vehicle that is around 400kgs heavier this value is going to be impossible to regularly see from a T4, the gear ratios are different in a t4 though so it has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
figure was straight from the vw manual/handbook for the transporter, it states the 50kw diesel engine (1.9td abl) consumes 6.9 litres per 100km which if you do the math comes out as 34.08mpg.

to keep it on topic the 2.5 tdi consumption's are stated as follows (manual gearboxes in all cases and in van/kombi trim)

88bhp -34.08 (same as 1.9td)

102 bhp - 36.18 (the most efficient factory t4 setup)

straight from the golf handbook the TDi engine fuel consumption is stated as being (combined)

90bhp(1Z/AHU) - 46.12 mpg

Given this is in a vehicle that is around 400kgs heavier this value is going to be impossible to regularly see from a T4, the gear ratios are different in a t4 though so it has to be taken with a pinch of salt.
Really not going to argue but one point, the vw handbook does not state a steady 55mph which you initially stated, it is a mix of driving and I think if memory serves they do the figures for vans with some weight also... Furthermore when did a golf weigh the same as a van..... I will say just once more... I return 40mpg in my low (40k) mileage 1.9td..... (can you see any reason why I should lie?)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
im not arguing either buddy, fair enough if thats what you are returning. the manual i have states steady speed of 90kph which is 55mph.

i never said a golf weighs the same, empty with a driver is quoted as 1270kg (this is a golf estate as that was what my donor was). A t4 empty with a driver in is quoted as 1700-1800 kg so it 4-500kgs heavier.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Sorry 40 mpg is what my 1.9td returns whether or not that was your experience it is most certainly mine and incidentally which manual did you get those figures? I have all the manuals relating to my van and it does not state the figures you have mentioned. Perhaps your search for the illusive power you needed had an impact on the fuel economy your van returned as I can guarantee mine returns 40mpg and drives absolutely flawlessly
beat this then my 1.9D on a tank full to tank full does average 44.54 to 45.64.mpg my bus has done 231000 miles is a very early 1991 H t4 bus. to be fair i dont go more than 60/65mph.no electrics to go wrong.can anyone beat that???

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
My 1.9td is doing 40mpg which is more than I expected it to do. Bet you wont only be doing 500 miles
a year, once you start driving it you will want to be in it all the time.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,187 Posts
2.5TDi, mapped to about 140 bhp, with all the usual mods.

In Norway, where the speed limit is 50mph, I get over 43 mpg 99% of the time.
In Germay, where I ran out of revs at over 180kph, it was down to 29 mpg.

Figures calculated from "brimmed" tank to tank.

Pulls like hell, and can easily hit 130kph on a slip-road....the speed needed most times to join a German autobahn from a service area!

·
Registered
440 Posts
My 1.9 td does between 38 - 40 mpg never the low 30s apart from when i had no exhaust for a week. Thats round town or 70 on motorway. Driving speed doesnt seem to affect it .Only thing done is ptt exhaust and decat ,egr unplugged and upgraded panel filter.Engines done 170000. All vans and cars are different i had a passat estate for 2 years was doing 140 miles a day also a mate had 1 too and was doing the same jouney as me , same cars same trip same speed he was getting 55mpg i was getting 50 mpg.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I think the 1.9td is getting some bad rep here. My 1.9td abl pulls just fine, its not a sports car but its certainly not too gutless for its purpose. Bear in mind "officially" we are only allowed to do 50 on all single carriageway roads, which also gives far better mpg than 60 especially with the standard 5th gear ratio. I appreciate that if you were to carry a baby elephant in the back you might lose speed on a big long hill but just change down and ignore the foolish bmw driver on your bumper Rasp:

I've driven the 2.4 which didnt feel all that different but I have no experience of the 2.5tdi which i'm sure is lovely in its own right

1 - 20 of 36 Posts