VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading a lot about blanking and cleaning EGR valves on here recently so I thought I'd try it out and see what a difference it made. Cost me £6.99 for a plate and gaskets off eBay.

Took the EGR valve off to find it looked like this :eek::eek::eek:

EGR Valve by Carl Hall, on Flickr

All of the stories about the mess it makes when cleaning them are true!! Chiseled out the crud into an old plastic bin using a screwdriver and spent some time cleaning it with some brake cleaner and a few rags. Ended up needing a new square EGR gasket as mine ripped when I took it off (£3.31 from TPS).

Took the van out for a drive this morning and it feels so much more responsive and alive. Honestly can't believe the difference! All in all it cost me £10.30 an an hour of my time, which is worthless :D. Wish I'd done this a couple of years ago T:

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,688 Posts
Thought you were going to say 'best tenner spent' for subscription !

But I know what you mean, best advise truly is on this forum from people in the know T:

....................... Got some nice shots in your Flickr portfolio there Carl A: I also see myself as a landscape photographer, I just love getting out about very early morning :D

You say you also use 'medium format' .......... surely that's not digital is it ?

TURK

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought you were going to say 'best tenner spent' for subscription !

But I know what you mean, best advise truly is on this forum from people in the know T:

....................... Got some nice shots in your Flickr portfolio there Carl A: I also see myself as a landscape photographer, I just love getting out about very early morning :D

You say you also use 'medium format' .......... surely that's not digital is it ?

TURK
Ha yes, that's £10 well spent too! I actually thought I was a member but I'm not... Think I use too many forums and it's hard to keep track! I've subscribed now though, and that was money well spent as I've saved myself a bucket load of money using this forum lol.

Thanks very much! I love sunrises, it's hard to get out of bed at stupid o'clock in the morning, but when you get home tired with some good photos to show for it, it's worth the effort. The main reason I got the T4 is actually so I can camp overnight and get up shortly before sunrise at the right location :)

Noooo not digital, I don't have that kind of cash! LOL: I use digital but I mainly collect older film cameras. I have things ranging from 17.5mm micro cameras to large format cameras like this one which use 4x5 inch sheets

Nagaoka 4x5 by Carl Hall, on Flickr

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,688 Posts
Thanks very much! I love sunrises, it's hard to get out of bed at stupid o'clock in the morning, but when you get home tired with some good photos to show for it, it's worth the effort. The main reason I got the T4 is actually so I can camp overnight and get up shortly before sunrise at the right location :)

Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I have a MultiVan as well ! T: Landscape photography can sometimes be a waiting game .............. I've been known to sit around for over four hours for the light to be at just the right place ! ;) So, sometimes it's handy to just sit in the back of the van with a cup of coffee T:
I'm now doing a lot of night photography ( and a bit of light-painting ) ...................... and as I'm living in the middle of nowhere in central France, there is absolutely no light pollution, so the stars look absolutely amazing, never knew there were so many !

Strangely enough I was looking into large format camera's not so long ago ....... I've seen that Nagaoka camera in your portfolio ( very nice ), kind of reminded me of the 'Intrepid' camera you can buy online. It was intended as a self-assembly kit ............. made out of Birch ply, you simply assemble it yourself, the plans are also 'Open Source' so anybody can make a medium format or large format camera at home.

I was a little worried about the film though, I used to have my own darkroom years ago, processed my own films and developed my own prints ................. doubt I'd have to time nowdays :(

TURK

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Thatll be a normal bunged up egr then, always trouble eventually. They either block up or the actuators or valves die or jam for various reasons, and/or they begin to leak muck and fumes externally. Or all of the above.

Get rid, and if you cant get rid, restrict the exhaust flow, clean, repair or replace.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts