VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not being able to afford a syncro I am looking to improve tyre grip on grass/mud with what I have:

Will other size tyres fit?, think I have 185/65 15 on there at moment.
Looking for all year tyres. Like AT tyres. Van is slightly lowered. May be able to afford new wheels at end of year, is any size wheel better than another for slippy sites?

cheers

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
check out Michelin Agilis Camping great tire for wet grass

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Think you maybe looking into this to much.Unless you plan to wild camp off road I wouldn't worry to much about getting around your normal campsite.There will always be some one to lend a hand should you need it.I have normal tyres on my van and do all right.It's more to do with the way you drive and access the conditionsT:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're probably right, problem is I've had a few slippy moments in the past year, partly on my own place, on my own. My tyres are probably getting old and hard, think they will crack the sidewalls before they wear out.
Looked for the Michelins online so may be the way I'm heading, but couldn't find them in my size which was why I was wondering if others would fit my rims?
Still thinking of new wheels or refurb in the autumn>

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you want real grip the way to go is all terrain tyres.
we tow a car on and off fields and it has transformed the grip.
we even towed our car out of a field last year while the 4x4 yuppie tractor parked next to us was just sat there spinning LOL

we run Kumho KL78 tyres in 195 15 (wich i think is a 80 profile) it ups the gearing but not too much. and fills the arches were on ebach springs and lowered a bit on the front.
BFG AT are also very good but a bit beyond our price range .
im having another 2 KL78 fitted to the front tomorrow
They have lasted a lot longer than budget tyres and also improve the ride on these potholed roads.
each to there own depends what your needs are :ILU:
we run a 1.9TD
hope that helps

·
Registered
240 Posts
Mine are fine noise wise not a problem at all.
prob noisier than a road tyre but i cant really hear them and we dont drive slow.
Grip wise on the road again fine beta than the budget road tyres we used to run.
and again we drive quite hard thru the bends. T:

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Good to know, might have to chop the Keskins in at some point for something a bit meatier...especially with all the DIY on the house...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
When I reported a few "slippy moments" on soft grass/mud earlier this year (winter 15s fitted) I was told best solution was to carry cat litter.

Fresh cat litter, I believe.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
I have 225/70/15 on votex alloys ,general grabber HTS! And 40mm drop, tried one and was OK so refurbing alloys then will fit!

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have 225/70/15 on the rear for now. They clear the rear bumper...just. Lowered 40mm too.

225/75/15 will be tighter at the sides on the back (about 1cm clearance with rear bumper bottom corner) but people have done it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts