VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a very long wait our vantasy is about to become reality! It's a reward to our little family for getting through a pretty rubbish year. We want to celebrate at the end of May with a cracking weekend away. So I'm asking for a tip off on that cracking, diamond of a campsite you know. We have a fifteen month old daughter, and possibly the dog will come with us. We're outdoorsy kind of people, great views and open fires are good.

Is there a campsite in the UK that makes you think, this is why we own a campervan!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
bleedin' long way for a w/e if you are Shipley in Yorks :*
must be plenty to suit you in the Y Dales for example
& the dog does have to go with you....................
GL, enjoy

·
Registered
183 Posts
Another thought... The NT site at Great Langdale (Lake District) allows fires and good walking from the site. The campervan area is not so great when it is busy though, basically the car park.

My favourite site in the Lakes is Side Farm on the banks of Ullswater, but I'm not sure about the fire situation there. Other nice sites are Skyeside and the NT site at Wasdale Head. All are quiet basic sites aimed at hikers and the like.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The lizard is far but we're spending quite a bit of time in Devon right now and Henry's looks pretty special. There's some cracking sites you've suggested. Actually already been to Gordale, cycled there on a tandem before dog or sprog were on the scene. The farmer was quite a character, seem to remember is house was full of folded down cardboard boxes, empty gas bottles and other left over camping detritus. Truly amazing site, and North Yorkshire is beautiful. On a side note saw the van for the first time today and its pretty beautiful itself.

·
Registered
183 Posts
That'll be Malcolm. No one forgets him and his collections of things :) Refused to charge us for one night because it rained.

Henry's is good fun and the Lizard is spectacular. A cream tea at the cafe after a long coastal walk is a must - keep an eye open for seals.

There is a Pasty shop down there that is worth a visit: http://www.annspasties.co.uk/

If you are down that way a lot, I'd recommend a night at Treen Farm (I think?) and getting tickets for a night at the Minack Theatre. The sites okay, nothing too special, but it's a lovely clifftop walk from the site to the theatre (take a torch for the return journey)

Some piccies from our trip here: Cornwall and Devon

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
We stayed here when climbing Snowdon, great campsite, allows fires as long as you buy the wood from them, £5 a bag if i remember rightly and when we were there a bloke turned up with a pizza van cooking fresh pizzas.

Great place T:

https://www.coolcamping.co.uk/campsites/uk/wales/snowdonia/gwynedd/136-llyn-gwynant-campsite
Used to be in my Top three. New manager took the fun outta the place, far to many Rules.
Now don't misunderstand me as I'm not a fan of Boom Box music blaring but a complete Ban has ruined the experience.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts