VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just wanted to know how you guys would go about a general cleaning of the engine and bay? I have happily owned our first T4 for about 3 weeks, and am itching to get it as clean as possible since I haven't really cleaned it since we got it and it wasn't really clean then either. :rolleyes:

Would a steam clean be worth it depending on the cost? Or should I just grab some brushes and a pressure washer? :*

Seeing all these sweet builds(Brown's Project Low!)and their clean, shiny engine bays...as well as the rest of the van...is making me jealous! :D

Thanks!

·
Registered
436 Posts
I've been jet washing all my engine bays for years after first spraying on de greaser.

No problems as long as you are sensible where you spray.

I usually do it when they are running so if it stops you know where to spray the WD40 !

·
Formerly known as marcus250
871 Posts
I used to help a mate clean cars etc for a vw dealer near us quite a few years ago...they would jetwash the engine bays with degreasers etc but always left the engine running while doing it and always on a fully warmed up engine so alot of the water is evaporated away quickly. And that was a vw main dealer! Also for a very stubborn stain on a customers carpet, they'd lightly spraypaint the area with a matched colour to hide it fully after cleaning as much of it as they could! All sounds dodgy and a shortcut way but it worked really well if done right. :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just a word of warning here.......if its petrol then leave it running but if diesel jet wash with the engine off or you can cause all sorts of problems. I accept that given the right snorkel type breathing that a diesel will happily run under water but you wont have that.
This was told to me years ago by a mechanic mate and so far I've never had an issue following his advice.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a word of warning here.......if its petrol then leave it running but if diesel jet wash with the engine off or you can cause all sorts of problems. I accept that given the right snorkel type breathing that a diesel will happily run under water but you wont have that.
This was told to me years ago by a mechanic mate and so far I've never had an issue following his advice.
Ahh, good advice! Don't want to drown ones bus! :eek:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Autoglym do an engine area spray, then wash off.

·
Registered
324 Posts
tfr excellent doesnt smell like degreaser as above post i use in garden sprayer neat leave few minutes and dont even us jet wash just hose with spray nozzle obviously keep away from alternator T:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heheh...I agree, but hopefully won't have to pull my engine anytime soon! But if I do, it'll all be in for a good scrub! T: :D

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
I have been told that hand wash washing powder works as well as some bike and engine cleaners at a fraction of the price...got to be worth a try.
I usually hit the really oily bits with white spirit before using and soap etc.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Best way to clean it is like this :I

Had a look thru your build thread and awesome job mate! She's come a long way! A:

I'm hoping to keep our T4 for years and years to come and make it exactly tailored to our family too. Inspired by your work! T:

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Had a look thru your build thread and awesome job mate! She's come a long way! A:

I'm hoping to keep our T4 for years and years to come and make it exactly tailored to our family too. Inspired by your work! T:
Haha cheers mate. its slowly gettin there. shouldn't be long until the blocks going back in.

you going to scarborough breeze at the end of the month?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haha cheers mate. its slowly gettin there. shouldn't be long until the blocks going back in.

you going to scarborough breeze at the end of the month?
Good to hear! Getting her heart back. :)

May try to hit Breeze up on the Saturday, but didn't know about it until today and reservations were due yesterday :(. Maybe we'll see you on the 25th though!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have you ever left a penney in a glass of coca cola over night? it comes out shiny and looking new! now, apparently according to info i was sent in an email once... if you tip a couple of 2ltre bottles over your engine and leave it a bit then wash off it comes up like brand new! not sure if this would work but could be worth a try!!
Sounds like an interesting idea, but not sure if I want to test it on my engine bay! :rolleyes:

May be better to try to just get hold of some carbonic acid without all the added sugar/flavourings etc that is in Coke, but don't really know where the heck you'd find it! :*

Will have to test it on some small greasy parts first! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts