VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to re polish the dishes on my wheels as they have some corrosion, im pretty sure they have been lacquered at some point and the corrosion is underneath.

Whats the best way to polish alloys and what materials do people use?

Thanks

·
Registered
812 Posts
If you want to mirror polish them mate, firstly you will need to strip the lacquer off, then use wet and dry sand paper. Depending on how deep the corrosion is you might need to start as low as 400 grade.
Use the 400 grade dry first to remove all of the corrosion back to nice clean metal, the use the 400 wet to smooth off the metal.
Then you need to go up in stages use the paper wet at this stage, it's very time consuming, what your trying to achieve is to remove the scratches that have been left in the metal for the previous grade of paper. This is the grades and stages.
(All used wet) 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500 and you could go higher if you want, 2000, 2500.

Once the sanding stage is complete you will need to buff them up, this can be done by hand with a good quality metal polish or with a buffing wheel with some polishing powder.
Hope this helps mate,
Check out the merc ones I did with a full write up.
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=214739

1 - 3 of 3 Posts