VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all - Looking for ideas for the best way to repair my cab headlining board (the pre-formed foamy bit on the ceiling that houses the cab courtesy light)

It had a bunch of cracks in it when I bought it so no idea how it came to be like that. The whole thing still 'fits' together (ie there are no holes or pieces missing)

Did a search - best I could come up with was duck tape or perhaps fibreglass tape. Any other ideas folks?

Actually the whole lining board seems really brittle in general - are they all like that?

Cargo lining board also duff but easy enough to do in ply, thankfully! :D

Any help appreciated - trying to avoid visible lines when I recover the cab headlining board with acoustic cloth.

Close-up looks horrid!

Damaged Area is inside the yellow square:

As always thanks in advance for your advice!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Had the same problem with mine. I have a factory fitted sun roof, the head lining was cracked all around the sunroof edges. I removed the original covering from the lining and the whole thing was very fragile. I used pva glue neat a couple of times over the whole thing. Then old blunt hacksaw blades around the edges that met the sun roof.I used a heavy duty spray glue to hold them in place then covered each one with Duct tape. For the central areas (like yours) I used plastic cut from various old containers, sandwich boxes etc. trying to find a plastic that was thin but strong was a bit of a chore. I glued this in place as well, one coat on the lining then another on the plastic, let the glue dry for 5 minutes then pushed together. Once all the reinforcing was done I covered the lot with black automotive mat'l. Very light and quite plyable. The job came out great. Looking at it now fitted you'd never know. I did contact VW and they said they could get a standard lining imported from Germany and it'd cost about £140. The one I needed was over £200 and out of stock everywhere. Good luck ! I'll post a pic later

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine was cracked and broken so I just used Sellotape to join it back together then used a headlining material with 4mm scrim foam to level out and inaccuracies. You wouldn't even know it was cracked now!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts