VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what other peoples experience is re: slow or town driving with the 130 or 174. The 174 is just amazing when floored. On the motorway it leaves most cars in its wake. I: The 130 is ok on the open road but not going to shock you with its acceleration. But the 174 in town or slipping along the motorway in a queue at 5-10 mph feels (to me) that it would be happier faster – it feels like a caged lion. The 104bhp T5 feels good in town & queues but on the open road:(

Many years ago I used to have a Mk2 Golf Gti 16v; it was very fast, revving to 7000rpm before red line. However one day I used my friends Mk 2 Golf Gti (normal 8v) and found although it was nowhere near as fast, in town it felt much nicer to drive with a instant low down response. It short it was more drivable in town than my 16v. But on the motorway the 8v was slow...

Where am I going with this? Which is easier to drive at slow speeds? Given that the 174 has a bigger turbo (but not twin smaller turbos) than the 130, is a chipped 130 going to be a ‘easier drive’ in town of the two whilst still faster on the open road than standard (though not as fast as the 174)? What do you think?

·
Registered
100 Posts
My experience is the same as yours ....and I have driven both! The 174 PS is a stunner for sure but you pay for it at the pumps! My choice would be the 130 because you never need to do more than 80 mph in the real world ....and dont forget that as a commercial vehicle you are limited to 60 mph max on a m-way!! Now most cops wont nick you unless you are doing something stupid aswell but back to your question, a 130 will do most of what a 174 will do!! ...........and its cheaper to insure!!A:A:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mine is a camper; the insurance is the same 130 or 174! It only goes on cc (2500)... What I am trying to say if money was not an issue (between a 130 or 174) and you did a normal amount of slow traffic/ town driving, which would be nicer to drive? Or a chipped 130 or 174? Fastest is not always best;)

·
Registered
875 Posts
If you are spending a lot of time in town do you really want a chipped 130/174? Gives you bragging rights in the pub for sure but there may be downsides. The dpf may recycle more often, (20k on the motorway and I have yet to see the dpf light on yet), the egr valve may inhale more oily gloop if its tootled around which may gum up the movable turbo vanes.

Lots of maybe's there but its probably working way under what its designed for. Its a big softy in town, drives fine, but they all do that! 85 bhp will do well in town depending on the load in it but it will be different on the motorway though its good when wound up.

Ferret is also spot on, above 80 mph my 213 bhp van is fun to drive but can have a real drink problem. In reality our works fleet of 130's are probably just as good on balance. Yer pays yer money etc etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts