VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there

its been a while since i been on here...wanting to ask whether any of you own a bicycle carrier....heading to france in august and want to put bikes on the bike, but have rear barn doors so it would be handy if i could open it if i need to while its still on. you know one of those that tilt.

thanks
:ILU:

·
Registered
979 Posts
Dou mean this one (Fiamma)

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
hi there

its been a while since i been on here...wanting to ask whether any of you own a bicycle carrier....heading to france in august and want to put bikes on the bike, but have rear barn doors so it would be handy if i could open it if i need to while its still on. you know one of those that tilt.

thanks

:ILU:
I bought a 40quid one from halfords for an estate car. fits fine but you cant open the doors. we just used the side door during the day and took off bikes when we stpped anywhere overnight. The Fiamma one is great but expensive(i think?)

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Hmmm looks as though I lied. It's the tailgate one that expands to take 4 bikes..... sorry :(

·
Registered
179 Posts
:)hope u get sorted soon t4girln. has anybody got a rack with a rear spoiler fitted with tail gate as the flama wont go pics would be good thanks

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
i use a Thule towbar mounted one. I will take 3 bikes BUT even though it tilts you may have probs with the barn doors.

it will tilt enough with out the bike on though. I have a tail gate and dont really worry about access so not really the best to comment.

One thing i will say though the racks that "hang" the bikes have cost me a lot in damage as the bikes can swing.
Even with padding i should have maybe checked a bit more ;)

·
Registered
312 Posts
We have the thule towbar mounted one, but it doesn't tilt enough for the barn doors, and is a squeeze on our friends estate car. We get round this by loosening the rack at the fixing point so that it pivots on the ball and lowers to rest on the ground (if that makes any sense) to allow enough room to get small items but thats about it! Its a fantastic, easy rack to use but a pain if you want to get in the back without leaning over the seats.

It does comfortably carry 3 bikes, or we load it up with 2 bikes and all sorts of combinations- bike trailer, pushchair as the support posts fold flat to make more room for other items.

I'm not sure if the newer thule version works on barn doors as it mentions t5 tailgate, alternatively search the forum/google maxx raxx. I seriously considered the maxx rack but we only have a swan neck towbar which isn't compatible and think there is enough clearance with those for barn doors.

We will be using our rack this weekend so let me know if you want me to take some pics of it in use with barn doors.

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
this is the one that i use. not on the van but you get the idea.

and

dont have a pic of ot in the lowered position.

one thing to not though is that they are designed to work with swan neck tow bars asn can catch a little on the bolting area.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The Fiamma rack can indeed be expanded to take 4 bikes, and here comes the Crass comerce both T4 and t5 racks are available from Just Kampers I:

·
Registered
979 Posts
The Fiamma rack can indeed be expanded to take 4 bikes, and here comes the Crass comerce both T4 and t5 racks are available from Just Kampers I:
The tailgate one will take 4 bikes but the double door one will only take two. I don't have a problem carrying 2 adult bikes on ours. I'm sure it would be fine carrying a kids bike as well, thats if the extending kit fits, not sure it does fit though:dunno::dunno:

http://www.justkampers.com/shop/type_4/type-4-vehicle-accessories/exterior-accessories/bike-racks/fiamma-bike-rack-with-twin-rear-doors.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts