VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys , I'm looking at putting a set of bigger calipers on my T4,(either 330 or 345). I have purchased the larger 25.4 master cylinder and also larger caliper carriers for the rear. My question is , because my van is a pre 96 does this mean the brake servo is smaller than later model vans, and will I need to upgrade it?
Many thx

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally had drums , but put discs on the rear from a post 96. I'll be changing the rear carriers so I can fit larger rear discs, just debating going for the stock 313mm upgrade on the front or maybe putting a set of PB brakes on as compared to heritage are only an extra £60 more. I'm obviously going to have to get rid of my borbets and probably get some 18's. I'm just concerned that the further away I go from stock brakes the worse the imbalance will be.

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
I'm still running standard solid rear discs and there's been no real imbalance that I can tell of. Didn't even touch the bias valve.

Even with the 313's you'll have to ditch the Borbet's (16s?). Still a bit of a sore point for me...
Did you change anything else in the system?

I've got a 1993 (USA 2.5 petrol van) that I just converted to all 2003 discs.(it's also been converted to Syncro but that's another story)

The van had a VERY soft pedal before the swap. After the swap the pedal still wouldn't firm up, but the van would stop very well.

I just swapped to a new stock master cyl and can't get this thing to bleed right to save my life :*

I've bench bled the master 3 times. Even tried it once in the van. I've tried gravity bleeding, vacuum bleeding, manual bleeding, hell, at this point I'd bleed the neighbors cat if I thought it would help!(left rear and right front simply won't gravity bleed, or vacuum bleed or manual bleed)

This is sorta a thread jack but figured it was so close to the existing topic that all info would help everyone.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Nothing else was changed. I did find that the initial travel was a bit far and the pedal was quite soft. I also noticed the sound of air escaping. That being said, the actual braking effect was better than the old brake setup.

I've replaced the servo but with no engine I can't really see whether it will have made a difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.