VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recenlty purchased an ACU 1995 Multivan and have noticed a big play on the gas pedal. In the picture below my left finger indicates the position where the pedal normally sits, and my right hand is lifting the pedal to the top. The play is roughly 4cm (1.57 inches).

Most of the threads I've found in this forum regarding this issue refer to having play when pushing the pedal until the engine eventually revs. I want to make it clear that in my case I have a good gas response; The problem is the gas pedal sitting too low and thus losing part of the accelerator travel.

I've been taking a look at diagrams (2nd picture below) and can't picture what bearing could be responsible for this. Or might it be caused by the accelerator cable?

Automotive tire Fluid Finger Bumper Thumb

Font Auto part Diagram Line art Event

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
If the pedal isn't obviously loose anywhere would think you should be investigating the cable, that it's not loose and moving somewhere, loose clips or such like, and how it's responding at the fuel pump, maybe it just needs adjusting.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The cable is stretched. Near the fuel pump is an adjuster that's simply a clip holding the cable outer against the bracket on the pump. Remove this and adjust the length of the outer (there's ribs on there the clip fits on to). Takes some trial and error but adjust it until the throttle arm reaches its maximum travel just before the pedal itself bottoms out on the pedal stop.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answers. Is the fuel pump located under the carpet, close to the handbrake as in the picture below?

In some other threads I've also read people recommending lubing the cable from the pedal box. Shall I include that in my checking?

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Gas Rim Fender

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:
I'm puzzled...............
either..........
1. We don't understand your English..
2. You don't understand our English...
3. You're having a joke......
4. You really don't have a clue....

Guess I'll go for number 4.....:unsure:
Without sounding condescending......

The fuel pump is bolted onto the motor, the other end of the accelerator cable is connected to it, if you look under the bonnet, down the front of the motor, and have someone move the accelerator pedal up and down you should see where it's connected to.....

But really, if you don't know what and where your accelerator is connected to or how it works, I think that maybe you should be leaving it to someone who understands what they're doing.
Before some thing drastic happens, to you or something else.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A fifth option is the fact that fuel pump and fuel injection pump are two separate things, and I've been referred to the first of them. Anyway, I thank rc_tech for his usefull answer and I'll take a look at it as soon as I get the chance.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
A fifth option is the fact that fuel pump and fuel injection pump are two separate things, and I've been referred to the first of them. Anyway, I thank rc_tech for his usefull answer and I'll take a look at it as soon as I get the chance.
Ok, fuel pump and fuel injection pump, to which rc_tech was refering to, two seperate things, but would have expected that it would be obvious which pump was being refered to in reference to accelerator cables.
Maybe there is something being lost in translations.
Your power steering problems, you need to get rid of whatever that fluid is in the system, urgently, clean fresh correct fluid, and then try the steering.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Sorry for the confusion with naming of parts, I was very tired when I wrote that last night and didn't think. In my mind, the pump in the fuel tank I refer to as a lift pump rather than simply fuel pump. Diesels only have the one fuel (injection) pump and there's no lift pump in the tank. I don't know if the petrol models do.

I also note in your other recent post you have an ACU petrol engine so my entire previous post might not apply to you anyway - I just assumed it was a diesel. Didn't you have a diesel model in the past?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello rc_tech. Don't mind the confusion; In Spain we refer as "petrol pump" to the one usually placed in the tank and as "injection pump" to the one usually placed in the engine bay. In the case of diesel engines we commonly call it "diesel pump", so it was all a misunderstanding from my part.

Yeah, in 2020 I bought an ACV Multivan. I did some deep reparations on it and now it is my brother who enjoys it. I recently got my hands on an ACU with LPG system and already have in mind getting a Syncro as soon as I can afford the project and find an interesting unit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The cable is stretched. Near the fuel pump is an adjuster that's simply a clip holding the cable outer against the bracket on the pump. Remove this and adjust the length of the outer (there's ribs on there the clip fits on to). Takes some trial and error but adjust it until the throttle arm reaches its maximum travel just before the pedal itself bottoms out on the pedal stop.
I just did it today. I wish I knew it was so easy, would have done it long time ago. Feels like a different engine. Thank you again.

I had to place the clip in one of the first dents. If the cable keeps on stretching I guess I'll have to adjust it on the pedal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts