VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while now my ex AA T4 has been holding back in cold or damp conditions. Various suggestions as to the problem. A diagnosis at the local VW centre said new wiring loom needed - chaffing of wires has resulted in a bare wire and arcing. So a quote of £500 odd for a new loom and labour. In my motorbike days a bit of insulating tape sorted such a problem.

Has anyone else any experience of this sort of problem - van reaches 2 - 2.5 revs and doesn't quite cut out but 'holds back'? Any other suggestions as to what the problem could be or does this diagnosis sound realistic? If it is what could be a cheaper solution be - can parts of the loom be replaced?

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
have read a few posts on here lately of broken wires in engine bay etc,im sure someone with more info will put you right shortly,a good auto spark should be able to replace parts of loom,if its the engine bay loom will at tidytransporters-tidyts on here was breaking one and had an engine loom available,:)

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
A decent auto sparky will sort it out (if it is a section of damaged wires that need replacing)
If it doesn't have a part number, main dealers won't want to know !

The auto sparky I use charges £30/hour and it certainly wouldn't take him 17 hours to fix something like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts