VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, i had a T4 multivan, all was good, then we had Rudy. He is three now but during the baby bit it became apparent that a SWB T4 in any configuration with four kids ranging from 3 to 17, at the moment, is woefully inadequate for camping. It was able to accomodate us fine with the awning, and extra storage was knocked together out of an old caddy. But, the amount of gear it was now being asked to move across the uk and sometimes europe was getting, frankly, close if not over what VW reckons was the limit when they made the little tin plates. :eek:

So i started the search for the new project, it needed:
1. well bigger, beefier and better

2. It also needed to have a full width bed. Neither Mrs Battlebus or myself are particularly big but i can figure out how anyone gets a decent nights kip in a 3/4:*

3. It needed to have proper suspension as i had decided that, no matter what was done, the front torsion system on a T4 is rubbish, just puuting it out there and its an opinion but really, its garbage!

4. I needed the possibility of fitting a poptop, the multi had an awesome vent system in the roof that i was loathed to rip out.

5. aircon, this was a biggy, a van full of stinky teens and a dog can be a fragrant place at the best of time. Add in a hot stretch of french toll road, a ferry departure looming and a layer of a weeks camping and this can mean if the windows open ears bleeding method doesn't cool the cabin sufficiently, the smell can reach the level unacceptable at the local landfill.:D

6. The colour, it had to be more forgiving. Having had the lovely emerald green Multi and lovingly polished, fettled and restored its coachwork only for it to be pressed into action at a camp site as the backstop for a makeshift goal, an etchasketch on a frosty morning and a climbing frame. The incident there the then good sized 13 year old terrorist or girl as you know them decided windows were lame and she would enter and exit the vehicle using the small slider in the side door:eek: The resulting odd marks sent me into a rage i can only describe as justified and yet all my family thought it a slight overreactionhsy:

So that was the list, there was more but i have learnt that if i go further without a picture most will loose interest and go back to ebay:p So with that in mind, here is the start, the doner, the base vehicle. A 2005 LWB ex VW t30 panel in silver, high mileage but good service history. Dazboi had looked after it and passed it on to our own BBB before i persuaded him it was more me:D:D

It arrived colour coded, with Kombi seats and one window. The slider and opening window were suplied too. Alloys and fresh ticket. We chucked an air bed in it and took it to lobb for the kids to sleep in, cos we were getting married:db

·
Super Moderator
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Re: Bigfive project, build a better bus! **with homemade multiflex**

Once we had decided to sell the multivan, i needed a solution for a bed till i decided what was going to be permanent solution. I took a trip to ikea with a 10 pound budget:D

With two quid change we get this

I made some adjustments and we had a bed T:

Bunged in a kingsize mattress bingo bangoT:

·
Super Moderator
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Bigfive project, build a better bus!

Next chapter was a sad day, the multi sold, to Jonnie Justice, i know cool name! God alone knows why he goes by the name Druggedonions on here i forgot to ask but hey, the man turned up when he said he was going to, paid cash and drove off with a smile. If anyone has sold a van recently especially on here you will know this is the unicorn, a mythical creature, buyers like this are few and far between no messing just a deal.

·
Super Moderator
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Now the fun and games begins, with the outside getting bits here and there, including the new slider and the reimo rail it stands like this

·
Super Moderator
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Now came the big stripout, i had a long chat with Colin at OxfordT5 and a deal was done:D

Out came the Kombi stuff

Colin was enlisted for the fitting of the rails as amongst other things, i dont have a ramp and he does you a nice fitting certificateT:

Some bracket action

The rails

Then going in

The vw fit brackets are quite beefy, the stuff that came off for the Kombi seatbelts was scarily woeful in comparison:eek:

Once in, a quick test fit to make sure they are all true

This dude really has got a fair idea of what he is doing, this is what he sees when he sleepsLOL:

·
Super Moderator
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Bigfive project, build a better bus! Myself!!!!!!

Seat now selected and paid for, but it looks worse than when i started:eek: Best get on with the decoratingI:

·
I have noticed I can't spell
6,177 Posts

Great thread BB started reading your other builds talented fella you are :D

·
Super Moderator
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Great thread BB started reading your other builds talented fella you are :D
Not sure bout that bud but thanks, got some good mates that help out too:D

Doing a fine job there bud, looking forward to the finished articleT:
More to come shortly as i do have the lining and floor in alreadyT:

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts

Starting to take shape mateyT:

Hopefully see it in the flesh one day.
We pop down to Hastings for the day a few times a year so might bump into you:ILU:

·
Registered
400 Posts

BB, so enjoying your account of your build, as well as the stories of the kids and travel. Brings back so many memories for me, as the youngest of four kids who travelled round Europe in a bay window Danbury, then a Devon in the early 70s....equipped with two ridge tents and the double bed in the bus. Keep posting. Loving it!:D

·
Registered
40 Posts

Haha! I saw you yesterday at Hastings train station, I remember the red star and number on the doors :)

Keep up the good work! T:

·
Registered
5,073 Posts

Loving the thread Double B. A:

Understand though that I shall be monitoring it for factual accuracy, and you've already strayed from the path a little once or twice already Rasp:

·
Super Moderator
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

The last weekend in April, the weekend we had decided to celebrate our first wedding aniversary with friends, some of whom you may know from here was looking pretty grim. The forecast was for monsoon type conditions for the entire weekend with the weeks after easter all being similar ment that the suncream was probably not going to be needed. In fact the call from the site on the tuesday saying they were sorry but they have moved us to another part of the site as the origional bit we were pencilled in for was now a lake did sound quite ominous:( So i decided, with days to spare, the carpet and insulation was going in:D

Toasty, but a bit bright to sleep in so ...............................................

·
Super Moderator
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

the carpet needed to go in:D Thought this would be a git of a job but it just wasn'tT: MVM gear again same as the trailer and a few youtube videos and i was set.

Redid the origional card panels in 6mm ply, just drew round them then cut em out. If anyone needs LWB templates, let me knowT:

·
Super Moderator
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I mentioned the floor in another thread recently but dont have many pictures as i was pressing on to get it done:*

Started with 6mm infill

Then made two sets of 9mm ply floor

The celotex was the sandwich layer and again, didn't get many pics, mainly because by this time Emma was not really speaking to me. I am a bit of a grumpy git when tiredI:

·
Super Moderator
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

We went camping as it was on the old bed as the new platform or 'sleep pack' wasn't ready. Once back and the thick layer of mud chipped off i got the Altro down and made the supports for my version of the mutliflex board.

So i made a couple of these, the offcuts from the lining came in handy, and fixed them in:ILU:

Before

after

The supports are neat enough to not interfere with loading but with the yet to be covered board over them and the cushion, still at the upholsterers, it converts the caravelle seat into a full width bed:D

When the cushion is back i will do more photos but for now, i am glad its done. MMMMMMMM, new carpet smell:D:D:D

1 - 20 of 143 Posts