VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

Thinking of buying a 4 Bike Carrier for my T5 Caravelle. But Which to choose?? Should we go for the official VW one for about £400+Vat or are the Thrule or Fiamma ones ok for 1/2 the price?? Help! :*

Mant thanks

Kev & Sarah

·
Registered
539 Posts
We're currently in the same situation and i reckon the Fiamma ones look good value, really lightweight and seem good quality.
Loads of people have them so they can't be bad.

VW ones seem a bit pricey to me, not sure about the Thule ones.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've got a Fiamma and it's outstanding. Everyone who's seen it can't believe how well designed it is. It can be difficult fitting mountain bikes on there sometimes but with a bit of jigging about they will fit securely... fitting road bikes are a bit easier though!

Takes about 1 - 2 hours to fit and up to now appears to be hard wearing.

I've never seen the VW carrier but would be surprised if it's £200 better than the Fiamma.

Cheers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool Thanks for the advice. When you say hard to fit moutain bikes, how hard?? We have two adult bikes and two childrens all mountain bikes. What is hard to fit I heard that the tyres are too fat to fit into the wheel tracks? Do you leave it on all the time and drive about with it on??

Thanks Again

Kev & Sarah.T:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I typically have to have the bikes pointing in different directions and might lower the saddles so the handlebars don't touch the saddles. Mountain bike tyres aren't a problem unless you have very wide downhill tyres.

You will work out a system of putting the bikes on and they will fit on with no problems. I usually pop a few bungies on as a back up as well. :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've looked at the same issue with the two racks that you have suggested.

At the moment I don't think i'm going to get either! I'm almost set on a Thule tow bar mounted effort, takes 4 bikes and costs about £68 off fleebay, new! T:

Easy to fit and remove when not in use, tilts down to allow tailgate to be lifted. The added bonus that the gas struts on the tailgate wont need changing just because i've got a bike rack on. :)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Another option is the Atera. I'm obviously biased as that's what I bought, but it's a nice bit of kit:

They do a 4-bike version too IIRC. Nicer-looking rack than the Fiamma IMO, if that aspect worries you like it did me...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello guys,

We bought the VW bike carrier, and although pricey it really is an excellent bit of kit, very easy to fit and carries 3 mountain bikes and 1 bob the builder bike superbly, very strong and secure absolute doddle to use takes about 3 seconds to lower/raise the rail section.

Regards the Fiamma rack very popular not aware of any issues and your not paying VW's steep costs!

Try e-bay I have seen VW carriers on there before.

Would put a picture up.....if i could figure how...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Having looked at so many over the years I eventually bought a fantastic (IMO) bike rack for my California, it mounts on the detachable tow bar, it folds 90 Degrees with bikes attached so you can open the rear door without removing the bikes, when folded up and locked it also prevents access to the rear door for the many thieving scumbags.

It is made by eubler (same quality as Fiamma)

http://www.uebler.com/fahrrad/kupplung1.htm

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello All,

Thanks for all the help and advice we have chosen to get the Atera Linea. It looks the best and the price is somewhere in between.

Thanks again Kev & SarahT: T: T:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Just for info of those looking to purchase. I've had a Fiamma rack fitted for about 18 months now. It has had some intermittent use- not regular. The alloy fittings have corroded and one has cracked (still works). The corrosion appears purely cosmetic, it's sturdy but not as sturdy or well finished as the VW rack. If I were spending my money again it would be a VW rack.

Incidentally, our van's a camper. We have the bikes on the rack and then a Thule tow bar mounted rear box underneath the bike rack. It makes us an extra long wheelbase!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts