VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am now after a bike rack (3 or 4 bikes) for my T4 based Auto Sleeper Trooper van.
The rear door is full up opening and the roof is pop-up type (not sure even if you can have a bike rack with that?)
What type of rack, 2nd hand etc If anyone has one or do's and dont's would appreciate it thanks rob

·
Registered
612 Posts
IME Thule towbar racks won't pivot far enough to clear the tailgate -- I've tried three different models and none of them do. Might depend a bit on towbar height, of course. The Atera Strada does clear the tailgate.

Or the usual Fiamma Carry-Bike should be fine, plenty of people using those with pop-tops. Might need uprated tailgate struts to hold it up with four bikes on.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I have a Fiamma rack on my '92 T4 Westie - no problems with clearing the tailgate.

You might need to change/uprate the struts if yours are a bit 'tired' :*.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Where did you get the gas struts from and how do you know if they are any good?? There seem to be lots around and I'm not sure what ones to get! I Also want a cycle rack to go on but my gas struts need encouragement to hole the tailgate up!! LOL:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone know if the Thule 3 bike tow bar rack will clear the ladder mounted on the rear door of my T4 Trident Autosleeper?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts