VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Previously; Stoo
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Peeps.

I need a bike rack for my barn door VWT5. Have seen the Fiamma ones that clip on the rear doors but have my reservations on that type.
Reason being, when im driving around france. I want to know my bikes are locked to the van some-how and nobody is gonna stroll along and easily steal them. Would have thought with a bit of force, a bike could be removed from the van on those racks.

So my other option, although expensive. Fit a towbar with rack and lock bikes through the towbar.

Any thoughts or advice on this:confused:

·
Previously; Stoo
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need to be able to chain them to something.

Watch this clip on you tube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yu4vEsD9WA

:eek:
Thats exactly what im talking about bud.
I could chain it to the Fiamma rack, but would consider this pointless as they would destroy the rack seriously damage thevan trying to get the bikes.

Thinking with a tow-bar job. The bikes could be chained around the rack and the towbar for some better security.

:ILU:

·
Registered
989 Posts
I have a towbar mounted bike rack which you can lock onto the towball (though lock not particularly substantial) and the bikes then lock onto the rack. It's easy to use and provides a good option but costly if you haven't got (and don't actually need) a towbar :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thats exactly what im talking about bud.
I could chain it to the Fiamma rack, but would consider this pointless as they would destroy the rack seriously damage thevan trying to get the bikes.

Thinking with a tow-bar job. The bikes could be chained around the rack and the towbar for some better security.

:ILU:
I am in the same issue I am going to lock the bike to the rack and a long cable lock down to the towing eye I am also going to put a chain through both the wheels and frame of the bike as you can tell I payed £9,000 for my bike I also have a cover

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,524 Posts
I've got a long steel cable and 2 gold 'U' locks. The cable goes through the wheels & frames of both bikes & around the Fiamma rack, one lock goes around the bike nearest the rack with the cable as well. It satisfies the insurance & is also peace of mind that the bikes cant fall off the rack while we're driving. If a thief wants your bikes bad enough they'll have them come what may. If you don't want the van potentially damaged don't lock them at all.

·
Premium Member
2,284 Posts
Have you got barn doors or tailgate Roger?

·
Premium Member
2,284 Posts
Probably not, just from what I've read the tailgate bike racks are better than ones for barn doors. Just looking into options besides having the bike in the van.

·
Registered
231 Posts
We did our European trips with 4 bikes on the tow bar bike rack. Locked with the standard arm connector, and then 2 extra cable locks. If we stopped for a long time or left van in hotel I covered the bikes with a Halfords plastic bike cover. Nothing will stop people if they are determined but if they can't obviously see the expensive bikes attached then it is a start. However this year we have 2 more expensive kids bikes so I will probably bung these inside the van when we stop overnight.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I've fitted a towbar on my barn door camper. I use an Atera Evo and one of my bikes in a 2 grand ebike so always a bit concerned about security. The EVO has locking clamps for the cross bar supports and locks on the wheel clamps so it's not going to be a 10 second job to steal the bikes. Plus the EVO locks onto the towball.

That said, I use a couple of locks running through the bike frames and through various bits of the bike rack. For the ebike I remove the battery and store elsewhere as that's an expensive part of the bike. If I was parked overnight somewhere less secure I'd probably remove all the saddles as well in the hope that any thief would move onto easier pickings.

Been through France to the med and back a couple of time with the EVO, touch wood no issues yet!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts