VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, looking to start planning a little trip abroad for next year
The plan is ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao then drive through to Marbella we've got accommodation in Marbella but thought we would take 3 or 4 days getting there and the same coming back.
Any advice/hints/tips or experiences (good or bad) greatly appreciated

Oh yes this will also be our first trip abroad in the van

Cheers

Andy
:ILU:

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've driven seven times between Marbella and Scandinavia. I know it's a bit of a distance, but we're trying to see different places and avoid toll roads. There are a few nasty drivers in Spain and I've had a few unpleasant experiences. I find Madrid one of the worst places to drive through, so I avoid it if I can.

One way to go from Bilbao to Marbella could be by Peñafiel, Segovia, Merida, Sevilla and Ronda. Peñafiel is best known for the the Castle and for its medieval square used for bullfights and named "Plaza del Coso". Segovia is on the World Heritage list and its got a roman Aqueduct. Merida is a roman settlement. Sevilla is a beautiful city with lots of history. Ronda is a nice little village with an impressive bridge.

Another way to avoid Madrid is going by Alcalá de Henares, Chinchón and Aranjuez. All three are worth to visit.

It's quite likely that I'll be in Marbella when you'll come. Feel free to send a PM.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi folks, looking to start planning a little trip abroad for next year
The plan is ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao then drive through to Marbella we've got accommodation in Marbella but thought we would take 3 or 4 days getting there and the same coming back.
Any advice/hints/tips or experiences (good or bad) greatly appreciated

Oh yes this will also be our first trip abroad in the van

Cheers

Andy
:ILU:
We have travelled from Santander to south coast of Spain twice in last couple of years both great trips,intended to call into Madrid,Seville,Cordoba among others but saw traffic around these places and decided against it and enjoyed mountains instead,roads in Spain good and hardley touched toll roads(unlike Portugal should you venture there)told Salamanca worth a visit too,enjoy your planning and your trip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts