VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody running on Biodiesel ? Reading the veg oil info on here im looking into buying biodiesel for the winter then a diesel/veg mix for the summer

Anybody buying biodiesel T: Whats the cost per liter :confused: Googled it with no joy

2001 2.5tdi blue i

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi mate

Also have a 2001 2.5tdi and really keen to get it running on B100 or any ratio with normal diesel...seems to be so much conflicting info out there that I've been reluctant to put it in yet! I think a lot of people are getting confused between waste vegetable oil and B100 which has been altered chemically so that it has similar properties to mineral diesel. to make things more complicated, you can make B100 from waste cooking oil. this is the option I'm hoping to use - there is a place called Uptown fuels in Southwark who make this from waste restaurant oil.

It'd be great to hear more from you if you find anything out.

Lewis

·
Registered
4 Posts
Damn, new to the forum and just seen how old these posts are....still if any of you see this and have been running on this for a few years successfully then all the better, please let me know!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello there.
This is actually my first ever post.
After reading all the conflicting information on Biodiesel, i bought a processor around Christmas time and have started making my own. Whilst not completely straightforward to make, it is not too difficult as long as you are careful and do it systematically.
I own a 2003 53 plate LWB tdi, blue i 88bhp.
I was completely paranoid the first time i put any in so went 50:50 to start with.
After it all mixed in my tank my van went quieter and seemed to run a little better.
I have done about 3000 miles on it now running 75:25 bio to diesel in the summer and now back to 50:50.
Apart from the smell, there does not seem to be much difference. I think it uses slightly more fuel than before but not totally sure.
I am obviously slightly worried about the long term effects of this on my van but nothing as yet.
I feel it is important to add that i am only using biodiesel made from 100% rapeseed oil, no other oil types being used.
If you look in your owners manual, it states in there that the vehicles are approved to run on RME (rapeseed methly ester). I.E biodiesel made from rapeseed oil. They list an EN number that it must conform to but commercially B100 bio should conform to this. The question is wether it is made from rapeseed oil on a commercial level but should be easy enough to ask and find out.
I too would like to know more about this subject so i have posted to try and stimulate some interest. The main sticking point is a regular supply of used rapeseed oil. I live on the Wirral so any help would also be appreciated and i would be happy to help anyone to make it also or give them some advice. I am fairly new to it but the chemistry is quite basic.
Hope this helps someone as i have taken enough help from others from this forum in the pastT:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts