VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've got a bit of a black smoke problem on my 1999 AJT 88hp 2.5tdi. Basically anything over 2.5k/3k revs and I get a lot of black smoke out the back of my van. I know there's a fair few threads on here about similar issues but in my mind I've checked most things so wanted to know if anyone could suggest anything else?

I've done PP2, so injectors from Ron (Rake), l200 intercooler, pptuning exhaust (decat), egr blank all the usual. I've also put in new glow plugs, oil change, filters changed new Maf (map) sensor and had a full belt change as there was some serious bodging going on by the previous owner and all my timing set up by VW (this was costly!). I decided the lumpy idle from the pp2 injectors needed sorting and vw couldnt do much for me so went to see Wayne of Chipwizards as he had some time to fit me in before xmas and was a bit closer than pendle to get the van mapped.

Things were going well until Wayne noticed that I had hardly any boost, so set about testing my N75 and discovered that the pipe connecting it to the wastegate actuator seemed blocked so left this disconnected so he could map my van as best as possible which did get my boost back. This is still disconnected but I should be fitting a new pipe this weekend. I:

Obviously I'd had this problem from day one and the initial hp was only 69hp instead of the 88+ I was expecting my van to now be on. Wayne then set about changing my ecu chips (older van) and mapping the van - all went ok but I was getting smoke so we decided to drop it back to 129.5hp for less smoke (I had thought I'd get more from pp2 without smoke but all vans are different). Van now drives great and I can hear the boost coming in etc etc...

Now I have it home and have been commuting it seems I'm driving slower (keeping revs low) and short shifting so I don't blow a big cloud of smoke out the back and I'm wondering if there's anything else that needs checking as the map may have highlighted an existing issue?!? :*
Also the van still seems to have a problem with any incline. e.g. if I hit an incline at 70mph on a motorway it then slows up quite a bit as it doesn't seem to cope well. And in all honesty it doesn't really want to go past 70mph it seems.

I'll probs try getting hold of Wayne again to see if he has any ideas but he's super busy and he was in the process of leaving his workshop while I was there. So not sure he'll be all that available at the moment.

Hoping that the forum can give me a few paths to investigate?

Cheers in advance! T:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Doing a bit more reading on the forum... could this possibly be a previous owner tinkering with my turbo wastegate? I don't think the van goes into limp mode - but is flat at 70mph+. Not sure this'll have an effect on the smoke issue though??:*

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Doing a bit more reading on the forum... could this possibly be a previous owner tinkering with my turbo wastegate? I don't think the van goes into limp mode - but is flat at 70mph+. Not sure this'll have an effect on the smoke issue though??:*
Probably not mate. Wayne is a capable guy, and if he'd have seen your wastegate duty cycle not behaving as it should, he would have tweaked it for you.

It sounds strange about the blockage though. I would have thought that would have caused you to overboost. Maybe this is what's happening and causing the van to go into limp mode when you hit the hills.

In the first instance, I would replace all of the hoses from the N75 valve.

·
6,699 Posts
Agree with snake here, was thinking that if the hose to the n75 is dis then the boost control can't be working as it should ant the wastegate might be opening too early.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably not mate. Wayne is a capable guy, and if he'd have seen your wastegate duty cycle not behaving as it should, he would have tweaked it for you.

It sounds strange about the blockage though. I would have thought that would have caused you to overboost. Maybe this is what's happening and causing the van to go into limp mode when you hit the hills.

In the first instance, I would replace all of the hoses from the N75 valve.

Ok great guys, I'll get to changing them - is it worth using the silicon hoses that some suggest? I have the ordinary type so will do that first anyway. Wayne did think it was a little odd about the blockage too and I suspect he did check the wastegate, he obviously knows his stuff!

Cheers for the pointers - will report back once I've tested it. T:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A bit of an update for anyone that comes across this thread:

Spent today changing all the hoses over on my n75 and have spent the last few days reading up on what the n75 does and how it works/should be connected properly. This thread came in very useful http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=87750 T:

Turns out the hose connecting to the actuator was correct but the others were not, in fact both were disconnected (one I knew about so Wayne could map my van) the other appeared connected but wasn't once I found where it should go! :eek:

They were in such bad shape I couldn't believe it, joins in them, wear marks and even some electrical tape around one end!

Once done I took it for a drive and immediately noticed a hell of a difference A: acceleration up, could really feel the pull and everything seemed to sound better. Only problem was the fact there was still lots of black smoke. Drove around for a bit to try and clear it out and I think it's better, however hitting the motorway and pushing the van up past 70 (couldn't do this before) I managed to blow a pipe off my intercooler so will need to get some better clamps and sort that out tomorrow!

While it lasted though my smile was definitely back! Really impressed with how the van was running! Fingers crossed this'll take care of my smoke problem too?!? :D

Cheers for the pointers guys T:

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
Lesson to be learned here is that you shouldn't waste your money and get a remap until you are sure everything is running perfectly first. I was looking to go and see Wayne but i think my Tdi engine is about to blow up so i will wait until i fit a younger engine before i bother. I'm glad you got it sorted bud, rubber pipes for regulation valves and leak off's are consumable items and should be checked at every service to make sure they are doing their jobs.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lesson to be learned here is that you shouldn't waste your money and get a remap until you are sure everything is running perfectly first. I was looking to go and see Wayne but i think my Tdi engine is about to blow up so i will wait until i fit a younger engine before i bother. I'm glad you got it sorted bud, rubber pipes for regulation valves and leak off's are consumable items and should be checked at every service to make sure they are doing their jobs.
Yep! Agree with you about checking before remap and not wasting money. The whole t4 experience is my first real project and a big learning curve for me so I know I've got a fair few more errors ahead but that's part of the fun. I'd pretty much done everything I could think of to get ready for the remap and stupidly didn't check this out. One of, if not the cheapest thing that I've done! Still I'm more than pleased with Wayne's work and if I'm up that way again once I've totally sorted the van then I may pop in for a tweak I: but 129.5hp and the way it drove earlier I'm happy :D

·
6,699 Posts
Good news Ben, knew it could not have been too complicated and N75 related.

Glad its sorted.

Ron.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good news Ben, knew it could not have been too complicated and N75 related.

Glad its sorted.

Ron.
Glad you sorted it. Thanks for posting the fix too! T:
Cheers guys! Needed the pointer or I'd have been lost! A:

Also I'll just clear up that when I say two hoses were disconnected they were connected one end and not the other. So if I was to just connect the ends it would have been plumbed in wrong.
So the turbo pressure (on n75) was connected to the crankcase / air intake pipe and vice versa. Changed these round and hey presto it worked. Thought I'd clarify if anyone comes looking with a similar problem.

Now to just check on the smoke levels tomorrow once the intercooler pipes are secured properly T:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sveiki visiem,

Man bija mazliet melnu dūmu problēma manā 1999. gada AJT 88zs 2.5tdi. Būtībā viss, kas pārsniedz 2,5k / 3k apgriezienus, un man furgona aizmugurē ir daudz melnu dūmu. Es zinu, ka šeit ir diezgan maz tēmu par līdzīgiem jautājumiem, taču, manuprāt, es pārbaudīju lielāko daļu lietu, tāpēc vēlējos uzzināt, vai kāds varētu ieteikt kaut ko citu?

I've done PP2, so injectors from Ron (Rake), l200 intercooler, pptuning exhaust (decat), egr blank all the usual. I've also put in new glow plugs, oil change, filters changed new Maf (map) sensor and had a full belt change as there was some serious bodging going on by the previous owner and all my timing set up by VW (this was costly!). I decided the lumpy idle from the pp2 injectors needed sorting and vw couldnt do much for me so went to see Wayne of Chipwizards as he had some time to fit me in before xmas and was a bit closer than pendle to get the van mapped.

Things were going well until Wayne noticed that I had hardly any boost, so set about testing my N75 and discovered that the pipe connecting it to the wastegate actuator seemed blocked so left this disconnected so he could map my van as best as possible which did get my boost back. This is still disconnected but I should be fitting a new pipe this weekend. I:

Obviously I'd had this problem from day one and the initial hp was only 69hp instead of the 88+ I was expecting my van to now be on. Wayne then set about changing my ecu chips (older van) and mapping the van - all went ok but I was getting smoke so we decided to drop it back to 129.5hp for less smoke (I had thought I'd get more from pp2 without smoke but all vans are different). Van now drives great and I can hear the boost coming in etc etc...

Tagad man tas ir mājās un esmu braucis uz darbu, šķiet, ka braucu lēnāk (turot zemus apgriezienus) un īslaicīgi pārslēdzoties, tāpēc neizpūstu lielu dūmu mākoni aizmugurē un domāju, vai ir vēl kas, kas jāpārbauda jo karte, iespējams, ir izcēlusi esošu problēmu?!? : *
Arī furgonam joprojām ir problēmas ar jebkuru slīpumu. piem., ja es uz autoceļa trāpīju 70mph ātrumā, tas diezgan nedaudz palēninās, jo šķiet, ka tas netiek galā labi. Un, godīgi sakot, šķiet, ka tas īsti nevēlas iet garām 70 km / h.

Es mēģināšu mēģināt vēlreiz iegūt Veinu, lai redzētu, vai viņam ir kādas idejas, bet viņš ir ļoti aizņemts, un viņš pameta savu darbnīcu, kamēr es biju th [/ QUOTE]
Hi all,

I've got a bit of a black smoke problem on my 1999 AJT 88hp 2.5tdi. Basically anything over 2.5k/3k revs and I get a lot of black smoke out the back of my van. I know there's a fair few threads on here about similar issues but in my mind I've checked most things so wanted to know if anyone could suggest anything else?

Tagad man tas ir mājās un esmu braucis uz darbu, šķiet, ka braucu lēnāk (turot zemus apgriezienus) un īslaicīgi pārslēdzoties, tāpēc neizpūstu lielu dūmu mākoni aizmugurē un domāju, vai ir vēl kas, kas jāpārbauda jo karte, iespējams, ir izcēlusi esošu problēmu?!? : *
Arī furgonam joprojām ir problēmas ar jebkuru slīpumu. piem., ja es uz autoceļa trāpīju 70mph ātrumā, tas diezgan nedaudz palēninās, jo šķiet, ka tas netiek galā labi. Un, godīgi sakot, šķiet, ka tas īsti nevēlas iet garām 70 km / h.

Es mēģināšu mēģināt vēlreiz iegūt Veinu, lai redzētu, vai viņam ir kādas idejas, bet viņš ir ļoti aizņemts, un viņš pameta savu darbnīcu, kamēr es biju tur. Tāpēc neesat pārliecināts, ka viņš būs viss, kas šobrīd pieejams.

Cerot, ka forums var dot man dažus ceļus, lai izpētītu?

Priekā jau iepriekš! T:
[/ QUOTE]
Sveiki . Man radās tā pati problēma. Vai jūs varat pateikt 5 vārdos, kur

1 - 13 of 13 Posts