VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

black smoke when putting foot down

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  nodrog 
#1 ·
hi when i put my foot down on my t4 i get black smoke . could this be down to injectors needing cleaning through or replacing . also is it an easy and fairly cheap job to do . thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Are we talking a bit, ie visible in the car behinds headlights or a out and out smokescreen? What is the engine is it?? Smoke in the combustion is normally caused by excessive fuel or air restriction caused by a clogged air filter or possibly a blown turbo hose, worst case a blown turbo.

#10 ·
i would put it down to unspent fuel also if your not using oil , it shows worse on remapped motors . mine does it if i floor it , but if i build the revs up slowly to a higher rev count then it doesnt do it . sounds like you are just putting a tad too much fuel threw . every deisel i have ever owned does it to some degree and ive had a few from new . if its pulling ok , no oil usage then no real probs to be honest

#12 ·
Hi, I have got a T4 2.5 TDI campervan and last year we were over in france climbing a very steep hill when I decided to overtake the slower traffic in front. I dropped down a gear and gave it some welly, well you should have seen the black cloud I left behind and it seemed to linger for quite a while. I said to my wife I bet the french love me Ha Ha. Back home I made inquiries and was told it was quite common with T4s so as long as its not regular and runs well dont bother.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.