VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Black T5.1 Conversion

16K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  BitterandTwisted 
#1 ·
After buying my new van in November, I decided it's time to start my post a 2010 2.0 Black Swb

As bought.

since buying I have stripped out the inside ply and done the usual clean up. A SCA Deluxe roof was ordered from a Yorkshire conversion company for fitment towards the end of January, subsequently they have let me down with no commitment as to when they would be able to fulfil my order, this has now been ordered through Banway who are due to fit in March T:
A new head unit along with reverse camera have also been fitted.

Mean while the electrics have been first fixed with a bit of determination to make the control panel fit where I wanted it.

more to follow as I progress

See less See more
#4 ·
Had some decent weather the last few days, so i've managed to clear the back of the van and Insulate with the recycled plastic bottle insulation and foil backed bubble insulation.

as the going was good I've also made a start on the carpet.
Feeling confident i have done all the metal work in one piece.
The infill panels will be fitted a little later using hidden clips.

Windows have also arrived today, hopefully will get those fitted next week.T:

#8 ·
The control panel is the CBE PC200 kit from rainbow conversions.
to mount it I removed the thickness of the panel from the storage box , you have to trim some of the support brackets for the front surround but it leaves enough to still work. Also need to put an extra cutout in the top of the storage box to allow the pcb to poke through and allow the correct angle.

once all the trimming is done I used a hot melt glue gun to fix the control panel to the original van trim facia this secures it in the correct position and fills the slight gap you get near the top sides ( this I painted with a touch up paint of the same colour.)

I will post some photos of the back when I next take it out.

A:

#9 ·
Finally got around to fitting the side bars and alloys, that was the easy bit.
spent the last 5 hours refinishing the near side of my van after some garage or valet company before I bought it made a mess with a machine buffer and put vertical buffer hollagram lines all over the van.
Should only take me another day to do the other side and back, thank god for 3M.

#13 ·
seamed like for ever. I ordered one for fitting the end of january from a large converter in Huddersfield, only to find out late Jan that they hadn't ordered it and they wanted another 8 weeks plus.
Ordered from Banwy end of Jan and they started it 3 weeks ago ( takes them approx 2 weeks to fit). collected it last weekend due to work.
Looks ace and the quality of the finish is spot on, they ordered the roof pre painted.
I believe its normally around 8 weeks for ordering then fitting on top.
appears far superior to my Reimo much quieter on the road ( no wind noise) better bed base. No bolts on the outside either.
first Holliday away will be the real test.T:

#16 ·
Got around to putting the Cali awning rail on this weekend. took a bit of fettling around the front spoiler to get it all to fit.

T:
going to start he curtain rails next, one less item in my garage! only 4 1/2 weeks until my holls :eek: and still no units fitted, booked in at Gee-wagen beginning of July, should leaved me a week to fit the seat and finish any little bits I:

#17 ·
Another weekend of progress,
Got most of the Van-x curtains fitted, they certainly seem better than the Biamex curtains I fitted in my last van. The rail is slimmer and they do slide in the rails far smoother. Will check the blackout properties when I fit the barn door curtains.

Also fitted the barndoor spoilers, think they had been lying around long enough, only about 6 months whilst waiting for the roof. Just didn't fancy fitting them before the roof.

Forgot to mention them to the wife and she's just noticed (oops)

Finally going for the interior units a week today, so all things going right I can fit the seat when it's back and all the expensive parts will be fitted to the van and out off the garage floor.

#19 ·
A few little bits and bobs sorted this weekend before the kitchen is fitted.

Got around to finishing the panel behind the drivers seat, it has 12v power socket with A/V sockets connected to my head unit for the rear screens to connect to, this allows me to use the van speakers with the rear DVD player when parked up.
Also fitted the 240v inverter under the seat and a socket.

Finally got the leather nearly sorted, just the head rests to sort, the covers for them where too big, so will have to wait to finish them.
Although I do quite like the grey original ones they do tie the plastics in quite well.

Off to Gee-wagen in the morning its getting all exciting.H:

must learn to turn photos around!

#21 ·
Well yesterday was another one of those hectic days early start to catch the train.
Picked my van up from Gee-wagen where they have fitted some smart units

Finally got home late afternoon and cracked straight on with fitting the plumbing and wiring.

A few jobs left before next weekends Holliday,
Plumb water pump
Fit Rib seat
Try and fin some hinges for the fridge top.

#24 ·
First trip away to Cornwall went really well,

Got back to some good news as well, the DVLA have reclasified it as a motorcaravan. A:

so now the dilemma.... do I keep her? or do I sell her and buy another van and try and improve on what seams to be about the best layout and spec I have done yet.

The only thing I can think of is air con, but I didn't really miss it over the hot period windows open really easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.