VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all.

I'm fitting central locking to my T4, and I want to remove the lock barrels on the barn door, and side door, so that they can only be unlocked by using the central locking.

I want to remove the silvery barrel bit that is visible on the door handles (the bit with a slot in for the key to go in), and blank it off completely.

Does anyone know if this is possible? I am assuming that the lock barrels can be replaced with blanks, so does anyone know where a blanking plate or part can be bought from?

Cheers
Andy

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I'd Like to do this too but haven't found a solution yet.

Might buy some locks from the scrappie and turn some bits of bar on the lathe and sort of copy them - but dunno yet - still working on other stuff.

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
the barrell part comes out from the back of the lock,why not pull it out and put a black disc over the key part then push it back in place ??? granted the disc part would need to be thin but do able i think with thin black plastic or metal

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm, I think I'll whip the barn door handle off this weekend, and have a rummage around the locks innards to see what can be done.

I wish there was a Haynes manual or something for T4s showing parts and how they fit together.....

Andy

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think jimbo took out his lock barrels and fitted a ss bar. there is a thread somewhere but i cant find it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had chance to take off one of the door handles at the weekend, and have a good rummage around inside. The lock barrel is withdrawn once a small roll pin is removed from the arm attached to the back of the barrel.

First impressions are that it should be quite easy to replace the lock barrel with a turned chunk of ally or steel, helf in the back with a bolt/washer. Stainless steel would be the best material, but the hardest to machine. Now all I need, is someone with a Lathe who can turn a few parts for me :)

I quite like the idea of colour-coding the handles though, mine have a few scratches that could do with touching up.......

Andy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts