VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys could I ask please for some info advice..just changed the rear drum brakes including cylinder on my 2.4 M reg no ABS ...I am using a gunston easi bleed that works of a spare tyre but nothing coming through the bleed nipple ..it’s under pressur. I have removed the nipple completely and even removed the brake pipe aswell under pressure and nothing comes out ..only one wheel is in the air while I am doing it ..what am I doing wrong any ideas please cheers..

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,520 Posts
Saying "M Reg" means nothing to people not in UK...even though many of us were born there....
Stating the actual year would mean more (especially as many vehicles were not registered the year they were built...build year should be in your documents...and sometimes, registered and build can be up to 2 years different.
The "older" vans went through a lot of changes in a few years....
eg, MINE for registration date, should be a long nose....but from build date, it's a shortie!

As toucan said....if you have a rear wheel in the air, the compensating valve would shut the rear off.

If you use TWO ramps at the back....that should allow the valve to work OK.

If you jack on the chassis, the valve "thinks" you don't need any rear brakes as there is no load on them.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Saying "M Reg" means nothing to people not in UK...even though many of us were born there....
Stating the actual year would mean more (especially as many vehicles were not registered the year they were built...build year should be in your documents...and sometimes, registered and build can be up to 2 years different.
The "older" vans went through a lot of changes in a few years....
eg, MINE for registration date, should be a long nose....but from build date, it's a shortie!

As toucan said....if you have a rear wheel in the air, the compensating valve would shut the rear off.

If you use TWO ramps at the back....that should allow the valve to work OK.

If you jack on the chassis, the valve "thinks" you don't need any rear brakes as there is no load on them.
Thanks for the reply first one I have had on any forum that explains things a bit better ..cheers again

·
Valve Lifter
127 Posts
Many thanks Toucan and Gaz for your insight - it wouldn't have occurred to me either.

I guess that Pistinbroke has at least got some degree of confirmation that his valve actually works!

Next time my van is on the ramp I'll have a good look at this valve and fathom out how it all functions - my first thoughts are that changing rear coil spring characteristics would throw out the valve settings?

Jim24
1998 T4 2.4D

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,520 Posts
Many thanks Toucan and Gaz for your insight - it wouldn't have occurred to me either.

I guess that Pistinbroke has at least got some degree of confirmation that his valve actually works!

Next time my van is on the ramp I'll have a good look at this valve and fathom out how it all functions - my first thoughts are that changing rear coil spring characteristics would throw out the valve settings?

Jim24
1998 T4 2.4D
Yes, changing rear (or front!) height alters the valve.
Original van settings had specific springs also for the valve.(1200 van/800 van/Caravelle/etc all had different rear springs, and the valve springs colour coded to suit.)
Due to Norwegian regulations, when I lowered my van, I had to have the valve "re-calibrated" by a VW van centre...at the cost of 250 quid, to get a computer readout that stated it was working correctly.
Also had to get the same for the geometry, so in the end, the cost of lowering almost doubled! o_O

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I am still having no joy.. So far I have had the van in the air now on the ground and tryed to bleed the cylinders.. I have tryed easi bleed kit, vacuum kit, and now the one man one way valve thing. I have now noticed the peddle went down about an inch then went solid and will not push down.. Its been suggested that I check the flexi pipes from the bias valve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts