VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I seem to have blown a head gasket - there are bubbles in the expansion tank (even when cold) and I'm losing at least a litre of coolant per hour with no visible leak. I did have problems with a coolant hose and accidentally ran her for maybe 10 mins with no coolant - woops!! Can't see any oil contamination though so gonna keep driving til I sort it soon - What to do though!? :*

She also has an oil leak which I suspect is coming from the crank shaft seal.

Do I spend £600 to get her repaired (change water pump and cam belt too) and then try to run her for another 200,000 miles or is now the time to drop in a new engine??
£1800 for a re manufactured 2.5 tdi though!!:eek:

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
210 Posts
What engine are you running Dave ?
Time for another 1.9 tdi conversion I feel
Good luck ........

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah obviously I'm gonna repair it - the question is whether to replace the whole engine or just repair it......

Whats the pros of this 1.9 conversion? surely theres much less power??

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
Get a proper diagnosis of the problem before doing anything mate ~ these engines commonly leak water from the oil cooler, radiator, heater matrix or more likely, the metal pipe has become porous (runs across the front of the block) or maybe a combination of these things.

The 2.5 tdi is not a hot running engine ~ if the head gasket was gone I would expect clouds of steam from the exhaust / high pressure in the coolant bulb / mayo in the oil & running issues.

Leaks are sometimes not obvious as the water evaporates quickly ~ if the heater matrix is perforated there's often no clue as the water can end up under the rubber cab mat.

Have the coolant system sniff / pressure tested :ILU:

ps. Your engine isn't leaking oil, it's sweating power.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts