VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
did you have to remove the green film from the indicators?
and are the led's the same for the indicators or is that where you have to solder them?
Yeas mate remove the green film and just use the blue led lights, much better.
The indicators are soldered on and I was lucky that someone had cut the back of the clock housing so I could get at them.
Obviously had a bulb go before.
I wouldn't want to take all the dials off and break something

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yeas mate remove the green film and just use the blue led lights, much better.
The indicators are soldered on and I was lucky that someone had cut the back of the clock housing so I could get at them.
Obviously had a bulb go before.
I wouldn't want to take all the dials off and break something
Thanks dude, thats very usefull, i'll be atempting this in a few weeks when i have all the bits, the only thing im not sure about is the correct LED and resistor for the indicators?

ive had several sets of vw dials apart, its just getting the order right lol

Cheers Timmos

·
Registered
54 Posts
changing the illumination is easy.
1. Remove the column cowling
2. Remove speed surround
3. Remocve the clocks (2 screws)
4. Change bulbs
5. Remove green film (if you are lucky you can grasp with pliers otherwise you may need to take the front off the speedo (easy job, 2 screws.)

Reassemble. Job done

Indicators alittle more tricky. You need to gain access to the rear of the led indicator bulb which needs unsoldering and replacing with an LED with the appropriate resistor.
I drilled a hole big enough to do this, carefully:ILU:
Looks great!

Just been fiddling on with my dash adding 2 more 12v sockets with illumination & found your link whilst looking for advice on how to work out what size resistor is required to replace the bulbs.

I did electronics years ago & remembered that V over I = R so working on a 12v battery with a current of 110amps I figured that V (12V) over I (110A) equals R (0.109ohms). I can't however remember how to work out from that what resistor I need? :*

Can you or anyone reading help out or point out where I'm going wrong before I burn out too many LED's? I:

Cheers

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
are you sure the 110amps isn't amphrs - that's the capacity of the battery eg would give 5amps for 22hrs - not current, that's the result of the voltage pushing through whatever the resistance is in the circuit

------------
it's gotta have a hightop....................................Rasp:

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi

really new to t4s but love new van. where is the bulb to change the dash to blue is it simple or really complicated. can you help?

Cheers Andrew

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I just done the mod on a early 1991 T4. Different clock's to the OP. I don't think the T5 led's will fit the early clocks. Well it looked that way when i looked at them on the bay.
I use blue LED's, each one with a resistor, soldered them straight to the plastic coated copper.
I changed the the indicator's as well.
The problem i have is the hand brake led is flashing dim in time with my fake alarm LED.
???

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just done my early clock's
The T5 led's do fit, but you need to put them in from the back of the housing.
I took the front off the clocks just to make sure i got a good connection to the ribbon.

I've got early t4 too, looking at doing the same, do the same t5 twist bulbs fit then? Is it as simple??

Cheers

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just done my early clock's
The T5 led's do fit, but you need to put them in from the back of the housing.
I took the front off the clocks just to make sure i got a good connection to the ribbon.

Chris09 what year velle do u have? I've got a 94 n looking to do this conversion to mine, tho unsure which t5 led's to go for...

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Just done the clocks on my 96 2.4 lwb and they look the nuts, only problem is i bought them on the internet and they send you two at a time,A: of course my clocks need three!!!!
so ordered more and am now waiting , i would be interested to know how to change the mileage light ( which is still green ) if anyone knows.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi im very new to this....I have a 1997 vw t4 and the dash lights are dull and dim... I saw ur lights the look gorgeous so im wondering which ones to buy how many and how easy is it.... didn't like the soldering bit u said. any help would be grateful thanks

·
Registered
340 Posts
I just attempted this mod on my 95 2.4d, but i cant get the speedo surround out from the dash? The stalks get in the way?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Guys my clocks arent lighting up at all and if its 3 bulbs then i doubt 3 have blown at same time......any idea where and what no the fuse is that i need to check......advice much appreciated guys

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Guys my clocks arent lighting up at all and if its 3 bulbs then i doubt 3 have blown at same time......any idea where and what no the fuse is that i need to check......advice much appreciated guys
I've got thee same problem.. The LCD milometer and clock light up but the dials don't.did you fix yours, what was it.. Thanks..1999 model 2.5TDI T4 ex AA Kombi

21 - 37 of 37 Posts