VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend coming back from France my alternator fell off getting on the eurotunnel
Got it back to England and had a struggle to get me and my van home
The head gasket was a bit suspect but driving with no water pump killed it proper sump contents is in the header tank!!I:

Good excuse for tdi conversion
It did already have a 1z lump in it but was still running original fuel pump

So I bought a sharan tdi yesterday with a afn in it, pulled the engine yesterday.
1st impressions are;
Intercooler pipe work is good as it has a front mount intercooler
Air box lid should fit t4
turbo is below the manifold not above, which may give me some clearance issues
Engine leans back almost the same as t4 so might not need to change oil pump and sump
On the drive home it seemed quick but not 110 bhp quick,
The sharan is heavy though and has had a wheelchair ramp conversion
Engines got 86k on it so hopefully should be a good one:*

Didn't get any pics yet as left phone at home

I need to get the sharan gone ASAP before I get moaned at, as I'm doing this at work

·
Registered
646 Posts
Will be watching this with interest, I've been pondering this swap myself as low mileage ahu/1z engines are a bit of a scarcity these days. The main issues holding me back after researching on here are:
Lack of clearance for the turbo.
Immobiliser situated in the cluster.
And the engine loom being encased in foam stuff.

Good luck with the swap and look forward to seeing how you address these issues (and any other snags that may crop up). The AFN route seems like the way forward.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will be watching this with interest, I've been pondering this swap myself as low mileage ahu/1z engines are a bit of a scarcity these days. The main issues holding me back after researching on here are:
Lack of clearance for the turbo.
Immobiliser situated in the cluster.
And the engine loom being encased in foam stuff.

Good luck with the swap and look forward to seeing how you address these issues (and any other snags that may crop up). The AFN route seems like the way forward.

I did look at a tdi ibiza as well was less money but 100k miles more,
Engine loam doesn't seem to encased so far but I didn't know about the immobiliser !
We'll get it sorted

·
Registered
646 Posts
Just had another look and it seems it's the passat AFN that has the encased loom, also the sharan turbo and manifolds are meant to be less tricky to modify than the passat.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Started pulling out the wiring harness ARGGGGGH that's a lot of wires
Hoping its ok for me to cut the loom that runs from the fuse in to the rear of the car
Managed to rip out the dash to get better access to every thing
Found a odd reservoir connected to the vacuum control system for the n75?
Also fusebox is not the same hopefully the plugs fit my t4

Check out some picks peeps

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Soooooo.... after getting the loom out friday night i started hacking it about at the weekend....
What a mission!

There is alot of stuff to get rid off. My advice now is.... cut off all the stuff you know you dont need whilst its in the car!
all the climate control stuff etc

it appears alot of the connectors are not the same as the t4 on the cab side!
However the pedal switches fit the t4 which is a bonus, the brake pedal switch is 4 wires not 2 so presume that the other contact for cruise control?

Dashboard connectors were different but i only have 3/4 that go from ecu, these appear to be speed and rpm input or output.

Need to get both sets of wiring diagrams and piece them together,

Also theres no multi plugs to put into my fuse box...... the sharan just went into relay bases and fuses directly.
Going to butcher the connectors out of a scrap yard and see if i can sort it out.

Worst case i can get another loom but this ones looking ok now...

The accelerator is one single unit. which looks a bit of a challenge to fit but seems tidy.

Going to start stripping the van apart this week.

Anyone know whether i can use the 5th gear out of the box, has a metal small end cap?

See some photos below

·
Registered
767 Posts
looks like you have your hands full there mate ..... im thinking of doing the exact same conversion on my 19TD ABL... so make plenty of notes as its the wiring side thats abit frightning lol and hurry up and finish so i know weather to bother or not ,lolol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, I've recently swapped AFN to my T4 from a toledo 97r with VNT turbo on exhaust manifold from sharan mk1. All fits well ;) The main problem is with the oil return pipe from the turbo because it collides with the driveshaft support but with a little effort you can handle it ;)

Good luck with your conversion ;)

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi, I've recently swapped AFN to my T4 from a toledo 97r with VNT turbo on exhaust manifold from sharan mk1. All fits well ;) The main problem is with the oil return pipe from the turbo because it collides with the driveshaft support but with a little effort you can handle it ;)

Good luck with your conversion ;)
Winning!!!

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right after a anothr few hours,
The engine is out the T4, it's stripped,
Engine from the Sharan is on the stand,
Must be my lucky day because when i removed the gearbox i discovered;
BRAND NEW CLUTCH,
BRAND NEW DMF
BRAND NEW CLUTCH CYLINDER
!!!! WIN WIN WIN!!!
lol the clutch is that new the friction plate still has the painted letters and numbers!

Bad News the downpipe to turbo studs sheared.
Wondering whether to replace all the exhaust manifold studs just in case i ever need to take it off in situ.

Need to clean the engine and buy a load of new seals and gaskets,
New issue, if the DMF and clutch was changed would they of changed the Crankshaft Seal?
Might pull the DMF just to be sure.

Not sure whether to try find a new ABL Alternator bracket, or to try using the AFN and the auto tensioner?
Still missing the gearbox support bracket, and with the extra power i think im going to need it.

My old block has some stories to tell....
Engine mount points split only one bolt with a nut holding it all together, had the head off and bores look honed,
It is a tdi block though and the injectors are also, so perhaps it was slower that standard!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Glad to see there is going to be another AFN with the VNT turbo fitted. T: I had right issues with clearance on my turbo using the existing passat turbo and manifold (see my thread there is pics of both my VNT setups) and the original turbo would not fit on the ABL manifold either. Ended up going for a bigger GT18V turbo on and ABL manifold but then had to chip the ecu for more fuel and a bigger MAP sensor.

I think by the sounds of it the sharan is a much easier option. Great news if the sharan manifold fits with the turbo and has clearance. (this will have to be the way forward surely) looking at your loom too the immo should be alot easier as it looks like you have the single plug ecu with separate immo box. (much more like the AHU) rather than the 2 plug ecu with the immo in the clocks which meant I had to change it all or get an Immo delete done. (went for the clocks as you pinted out they red line later)

ou of interest and for other tdi converts, is the AFN of the sharans block ok for the gearbox to engine mount - will be great if it is because on the logitudinal engines (my passat b5) the holes are in the wrong place and I had to make a bracked but have since done two AHU conversions and they had the rear mounting holes the same as the ABL and 1X engines.

Good Luck and keep us posted with the progress. T:T:

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Glad to see there is going to be another AFN with the VNT turbo fitted. T: I had right issues with clearance on my turbo using the existing passat turbo and manifold (see my thread there is pics of both my VNT setups) and the original turbo would not fit on the ABL manifold either. Ended up going for a bigger GT18V turbo on and ABL manifold but then had to chip the ecu for more fuel and a bigger MAP sensor.

I think by the sounds of it the sharan is a much easier option. Great news if the sharan manifold fits with the turbo and has clearance. (this will have to be the way forward surely) looking at your loom too the immo should be alot easier as it looks like you have the single plug ecu with separate immo box. (much more like the AHU) rather than the 2 plug ecu with the immo in the clocks which meant I had to change it all or get an Immo delete done. (went for the clocks as you pinted out they red line later)

ou of interest and for other tdi converts, is the AFN of the sharans block ok for the gearbox to engine mount - will be great if it is because on the logitudinal engines (my passat b5) the holes are in the wrong place and I had to make a bracked but have since done two AHU conversions and they had the rear mounting holes the same as the ABL and 1X engines.

Good Luck and keep us posted with the progress. T:T:

From my measurements the Turbo should fit comfortably, the tapped holes for mounting the engine seem ok currently and are tapped m10 already. was going to test fit but decided once its if if it fits its staying :)

need to make some quick progress before work decides my 2 dead vehicles in the yard are a problem....
Really want to get the van running before i scrap the sharan

·
Registered
22 Posts
I recently used an AFN for an M-TDI conversion. Used the original ABL turbo and AFN manifold. Fits fine. Had an oil pipe made for the turbo at a hydraulic hose manufacturers. Showed them the fittings I needed at each end and asked for it to be just over a meter long, I think it cost about £90.

I used the ABL sump and pick up, not sure if I needed to but thought better be on the safe side. Had my AFN from a galaxy so there may be a few differences to yours.- Obviously I had no wiring issues to worry about.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Very interesting thread and great work dude!
I have a Sharan with a 100k AFN motor. I'm scrapping it and pulling the motor. I'll pull all the other bits too and put it all to one side if anyone's interested?

Sorry to high jack your thread for basically an advert! Lol!

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Right, Not much been happening lately as im still waiting for my new gaskets to turn up!

Have almost got my head around the loom!

Found a lovely TDi golf in a scrapyard saturday, unfortunatly it now doesn't have the F G1 and G2 connectors,

I have managed to piece together looking at wiring diagrams and pinouts all the connections from the golf f and g1 connectors to my afn loom,

I't also looks like i've cut out the reverse light switch from my afn loom, albeit it was a 4 wire not 2, and i can't seem to find the blue alternator wire in my loom also, And i havin';t worked out which wire is the starter solenoid....
However i have a sneeky suspicion that it may change colour at the multi plug, my engine and loom are in 2 places at the moment, Not ideal.
but considering i hacked it about i think im not doing too bad.

Next Issue is after sorting the f g1 and g2 connectors i still have a few spare wires...
Some immobiliser which i can sort, the diag wire, AND fuel control module wiring,
this seems to be some kind of safety relay that switchs the fuel stop solenoid, its switch from pin 53, and looks at the srs airbag module, and the Speed input to the instruments through some other module. looking at the 2 diagrams below i think i can junk the extra wiring and link pin 53 directly to the fuel pump stop solenoid.

Have a look at the diagrams below.....

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm so glad you started this thread.
I'm about to start my conversion using a '98 Seat Alhambra.
Did you find a solution to the oil return pipe on the turbo problem.
I was wondering if this can be overcome without buying new parts?

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So this has taken a while... busy and work and lack of motivation,

Loom is in... I ended up using the starter/alternator loom from the abl,
engine is in,
no major issues, really just parts etc.

Turbo wise, I've clocked the VVT around to get the oil drain @ 15'
had to drill new holes into the exhaust housing.

its not on yet but I need to buy a new oil feed pipe braided.

still after a alternator bracket.

Apart from gaskets etc I haven't really bought a lot managed to ge a dipstick off ebay as my previous engine had a some bodged thin in the front as I think it had come out of a golf.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts