VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Ive had a bit of a nightmare lately....

Basically bought a 2007 2.5 T5 last year with engine in bits in the back.. not had chance to get out done with it till recently.
Come to make a start on rebuilding engine last week having getting the engine back from recondition shop brand new head has it had worn on old one round injectors ports.. new pistons new bearings bolts gaskets crank polished ect.

That lead me to my next problem missing parts..
Missing tadum pump rocker cover one timing gears oil pick up intake manifold throttle body and god noes what else till i get there.

My question is ive got chance of a axd engine complete but none runner quite cheap so i wonder what bits i can used from axd for my bnz.

Any help would be much appreciated cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello all. Ive had a bit of a nightmare lately....

Basically bought a 2007 2.5 T5 last year with engine in bits in the back.. not had chance to get out done with it till recently.
Come to make a start on rebuilding engine last week having getting the engine back from recondition shop brand new head has it had worn on old one round injectors ports.. new pistons new bearings bolts gaskets crank polished ect.

That lead me to my next problem missing parts..
Missing tadum pump rocker cover one timing gears oil pick up intake manifold throttle body and god noes what else till i get there.

My question is ive got chance of a axd engine complete but none runner quite cheap so i wonder what bits i can used from axd for my bnz.

Any help would be much appreciated cheers
Currently rebuilding a BNZ for my T5. All the research I have done for parts, etc., has led me to the conclude that there is little or no difference across the range apart from bhp! especially when it comes to all the ancillaries.
My question is about the cylinder head- how badly the injector ports/ apertures have to be to justify replacement? You see a lot of reconditioned heads on the market, presumed to have been replaced for the same problem in the first place! One supplier said that they can mill the ports but only as much as a couple of microns, else you get the problem with cams meshing???? I stripped 2 engines, both have worn injector ports, but the rest of the head looks brand new! What a waste of beautifully machined aluminium by OEM only to replace it with an after market Chinese rubbish because the new OEMs cost in excess of £3000, and that is just the bare head! Why can't the technology allow rebore and sleeve these horrible ports! The problem doesn't stop there either- one has to think about new injectors as both the injectors and the ports wear out to half their useful life at 50000 miles and by 100000miles, you are running on 15-20 miles per gallon and lots of smelly smoke from the back end of the van! Whoever claims that these engines run for ever, doesn't know the truth and the German conspiracy!
The other question: Why STD piston sellers/ manufacturers quote cylinder bore sizes of 81.00mm and 81.01mm variations?
Why a variation of the thickness of piston compression rings- 1.75mm-2.50mm for ring 1, 2.00mm-2.50mm for ring 2? Does Standard size mean different for different manufacturers? And I am not talking about over/under sizes here. More German conspiracy!
Having said that, the bottom end of these engines seem to be little affected by the mileage. So hang on to the old pistons and save some money to splash on a good quality head and injectors. By the way, my local Breeze has the audacity to charge over £700 per injector! The remanufactured ones (?) from AutoDoc range from £200 to £400 exchange! The rest on the second/reconditioned/remanufactured cheaper injector market suffer from the same curse- worn body which will not do justice on the ports of your shiny new cylinder head! German conspiracy!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts