VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just recently got my van which has already been boarded and carpeted. I've been planning what jobs to do and in what order but having a good dig into her I've realised that the existing boarding work isn't that great so I'll probably go for that first. I'm just wondering what all you T4/5 veterans recommend for boarding out, I'm seeing a lot of pre-cut ply kits in 4mm thickness, is this the standard choice of thickness? Also is pre-cut the way to go or would you recommend buying 8'x4' sheets and going for it yourself? :confused:I'm pretty handy at a bit of carpentry. Cheers in advance for any help or advice on this.

·
Registered
627 Posts
4mm ply is just the job mate.When I did mine I brought a roll of thick lining paper from B&Q and made paper templates first.It's cheaper then ruining your ply.Just remember to allow 3/4 mm for the thickness of the carpet on the edges of the panel.I'd be wary of some of the new pre cut panel kits,they could be a poor fit :*
Good luck with it T:

·
Registered
651 Posts
I made my own for my t4 as I had the templates, easy enough to do and I enjoy doing it myself so I can look back after and say 'I've done that'. I used ajc conversions pre cut kit on my t5 tho, fit perfect and cheap enough when you take time into consideration.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
I have just fitted mine ,I used 4mm far eastern ply you have to use the finest cut jig saw blades

or the cut edge looks a mess , splinters badly .

I made my templates with brown masking paper worked a treat ,took me about 4 hours to do.

T:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for the advice lads. At last starting it this weekend, definitely going for it myself so we'll see what I end up with

1 - 7 of 7 Posts