VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been to see a local bodyshop this morning (know the guy fairly well - but not enough to be a mate) Have just a few pretty minor scabs on our T4 camper that I would like to get sorted before they get any worse, the usual spots ie one small patch under the left side screen, panel area just beneath fuel flap, and small patch on both drivers / passenger side sill joint, also I want the bumpers and mirors colour coded.

He had a look at the bits and I got the usual :* saying the screen would need to be taken out to treat the spot under it, which OK I had already figured myself in order to do a good job, then when I said about having the bumpers colour coded he was saying "why do you want to do that?" Response: ummm because I do I: obviously wasnt keen on doing it, as went on to tell me how much work was involved about keying the suraface and saying he didn't want to put the paint on too heavy incase it flaked in the future? he mentioned a paint name with "plasti" in it but cant remember exactly what he called it? but seem to remember from reading somewhere it has to be flexible if its on bumpers and trim?

Anyway I left, and he is going to get back to me with a price, was really hoping for "Yes mate, I can do that for you no problem" I:

So was wondering could anyone here give me a rough idea what I could expect to pay, I'm not after a cheap job I want it done properly so know its not gonna be cheap, but just got a feeling he's going to come back to me with a mega high quote, so if there is a painter here or if some of you guys have had similar work done perhaps you could give me some advice?

Just to clarify:

Colour code: front & rear bumpers, mirrors.
Treat and paint: spot under windsreen, left side small area under fuel flap, passenger and drivers sill joint

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Above

Just heard back from the bodyshop

Have quoted me £740 for above work :eek:

I know I wanted a good job but not I'm not paying that kinda money just to rectify a few lightly scabby bits, is this price way off the mark or am I just out of touch? (was thinking more like 3 or 4 hundred quid myself)

Is there any painters here that can offer advice or someone whos had similar work done?

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
i got quoted just over 800 for the same as you but in addition removing rear barn door glass , doing rust and replacing with new seals and 1 vw glass as one of them is junky stuff ! then after thinking about it i know i would see the patches and it would bug the hell out of me so put some more money to it and went for a full respray
price sounds about right to be honest , my quote of 800 didnt include the bumpers but the full spray does and mirrors
kieran

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
price sounds about right to be honest , my quote of 800 didnt include the bumpers but the full spray does and mirrors
kieran
Hi Kieran, thanks for getting back to me mate T:

Really? I:

Seems a heck of alot of money to me.....

Just to colour code the front and rear bumpers and mirrors comes out at £300 plus paint? Bumpers £120 ea, (ie £240) + mirrors £60

The bodywork bits that need doing are really not that bad, (can barely notice them for now) but under the screen is a concern for me as I didnt want it getting any worse!

Maybe I am out of touch, but I dont feel the bits are that bad to warrant paying 3/4 of a grand for a bit of paint, the guy said as soon as he saw our T4 "Bl**dy hell that is the cleanest T4 camper I've ever seen" I said... "Well it's clean, but there are one or two areas that need attention, which is why I'm here" :D

Will get another price to see how they compare, was hoping for bit more guidance from others here ;)

·
Registered
362 Posts
He's not too out on the bumpers pal, I've done two sets of t4 bumpers this week and they are a bitch to get spot on! The amount of work is the problem, I charge 250 a set Inc paint but I know that's cheaper than anywhere round me. The rust scabs are a funny one though, cos end of day rust is rust so it will come back unless u put new metal in. If you want it tidied up do you want it grinding back, filler over it kinda job, which ain't gonna last IMO or put new steel in, all which is gonna cost £££

·
Registered
262 Posts
I had mine colour coded about 2 years ago & still spot on. Cost me £400 for bumpers, mirrors, usual fuel flap slight rust. Also had a tow bar hole in front bumper filled by them. Top job by Smoothgear in Leyland.

Prices will only have gone up in the last few years & your screen needs to come out. I reckon about £550 to £600 would be about right.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Vanblack, yep realise screen has to come out (think he said £45 to take out and refit) pretty fair I thought as he said he has a fitter who comes in to do this. Main concern is the screen area although less than a size of a 1p coin bound to get worse I guess really this should be cut out but then may be able to take it back to good metal?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts