206,000 miles
150bhp injectors (fitted last month)
full stainless custom straight through exhaust
induction kit
drilled and grooved dics and mintex pads
short shift gearstick
falcon alarm
central locking
18" dished alloys (2" front dish 3"rear dish)
full respray in yellow
golf vr6 front splitter
black side bars
custom t4 rear badge
front mud flaps
wind deflectors
limo black tinted side windows
tinted front windows
solid rear doors
rear spoiler
custom bonnet bra
waxoiled inner arches front and rear
lowered 50mm front and rear
fully insulated front and rear
sound proofed cab with two layers
sound proofed rear of van
front seats have had a full re-trim black cloth centres, black leather sides with yellow stitching and piping
yellow leather roof lining
flocked dash, all buttons and dash accesories
flocked door cards
flocked pillars (with handles removed and smoothed)
boost and volt gauges fitted in drivers door card
double black mat with yellow stitching
plasma dials
double din dvd headunit
pionner dash speakers
gearstick extension
fully ply lined and carpeted
leather window surround
cheker plate lino flooring
units down drivers side
chalk board doors on the units
simpsons comic book worktop
led lights in the roof
rock and roll bed
pionner component speakers in rear doors
--------------

Not done a huge amount to it yet. Just taken it up to a usable height (About 50mm below standard) and taken off the "offensive" stickers.

Taken her to APS for a FULL overhaul on the engine. Will post more soon! :cool:

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No new images yet... but here are a few Denni took before we picked it up....

She is currently at APS having a HUGE amount of work done.

New Power steering Rack
New anti roll bar bushes
New drop links
New front CV boots
New Water Jacket
New idler pulley
New vibration Dampener
New Cambelt
New water pump
New tensioners
New waterpump belt

Might have to miss a month paying the mortgage, but at least if we DO get kicked out the house, we will have a place to live.. THE VAN!!! :D

Was very impressed with APS when we dropped her off on Tuesday night. Hoping this work will mean the van will go on for ANOTHER 200,000 miles!!!

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What are those wheels?????????????
I'm in love :eek:
I have no idea what they are! Been trying to find out.
Denni bought them on eBay and I have been a little worried about their load ratings.
but my local tire experts (Who I have been using for close to 10 years and I trust completely) have said that they shouldn't be a problem.
IF I find out, I will let you know. Front lip is 2", rear lip is 3"... pretty extreme! :cool:

Looking good mate :) T:
Cheers, ot be fair, Denni has done all the work till now but we have taken the baton and will be running with it soon.

Cracking van, Enjoy it A:
Cheers... fetching it back from APS tomorrow, so we will be planning our first night out in it ASAP!!!

:ILU:

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As this is a joint project... I asked my wife, Tam, to write a few words on the van....

She ran with it :cool:

"Bongo Fury!

For some reason, we woke up on New Years Eve and decided to buy a van.
We had been talking about it for a while but had no real plan or time-scale figured out.
James had done his homework and knew we wanted the 2.5 102ps although we were switching between SWB and LWB for various reasons. He had been in touch with Denni about the van he had for sale but we had pretty much ruled it out as it was in Exmouth (192 miles) and a bit over budget.
We spent a couple of hours looking at (what seemed like) every van that was or had been for sale on-line. After missing a couple that looked good and looked at a OT that looked awful (Why would anyone think that someone would hand over thousands of pounds on the basis of an eBay advert with no photo's and one line of text they couldn't be bothered to spellcheck?) we started contemplating a trip to Exmouth.
New Years day seemed like the perfect day to drive down there, the roads would be quiet, the weather was OK, and we had Monday off to catch-up.reasoning
We drove to Exmouth telling each other that it would be crazy to but the first one we saw, and that the 380 mile round trip didn't matter, we were just going to have a look.
We got there and this is where it gets a bit confusing because there were lots of reasons why we shouldn't buy it and then we bought it. I think my overwhelming reasoning was that it was a lovely yellow (James thought it was more to do with the test drive and the service history - or that's what he'll say anyway...)

So, what have we bought then? Well these are a few of the features from the advert:

Ex-AA
On the positive side, these are quire sought after because of the high spec engine, however some people say they can sometimes be over-priced because of this. I think that is good because the majority of AA vans are bright yellow (and driven by a very nice man)

2.5 Diesel 102ps ACV
No idea what then means other than the engine is big enough to move the weight and I won;t get mixed up if I have to fill it up, although the fuel cap is on the other side to my car, whats THAT all about!

1999 plate
It's getting on a bit but age comes with wisdom (sometimes) and it has lots of experience travelling around

206k miles
If it was 96k, we wouldn't have been able to afford it.

150 injectors
No remap though, so they don't really add anything. Remap booked in for next Tuesday, in Rochdale (96 miles form home)

Full Stainless Steel PPTuning Exhaust
Apparently this is a good thing - it's quire loud. Although not as loud as we thought it might be. You can't sleep thought it but you don't set off car alarms.

Induction kit
In not to bothered about this, it is a van. Im not planning on taking it round the Nurbergring Sabine Schmidt style but I guess I'm not going to complain either

Drilled and groved discs and mintex pads
Yes, brakes are good, you really need those.

Short gear shift
You don't have to move your arm as far

Falcon alarm
We wanted an alarm so this saves us forking out. I havent heard it go off yet so I have no idea how effective it is but it makes a satisfying beep when it is armed/disarmed

Central locking
This is where the problems start. It has central locking on all doors exept the drivers. The lock on the drivers door is a bit stiff, and on a different key, not the biggest issue in the world but it's on the list of things to sort out. Hopefully this one's not too pricey and will be worth it to not have a bunch of keys the size of the isle of while. Also having a spare key would be good for the days when the keys get accidentally locked in the van while it's running - although that's pretty unlikely!

18" alloys
I like these :)

Full re-spray in yellow
The colour is fantastic, very noticable and easy to find in a car park full of camper vans at campermart.

Golf VR6 splitter
Looks good but totally pointless as it will get wrecked if we drive NEAR a campsite.

Custom T4 rear badge
Plain black but not bad, so that's all that matters."

Will be updating this as and when she wants to add/alter anything :D

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
This is a great looking van as we met Denni last year in exmouth T:
Denni took good care of the van... Unfortunately, how LOW he had it has screwed with a few things. :(

Tires, Power Assisted Steering Rack, Bump Stops, anti roll bar bushes, drop links, front CV boots...
But they are all being replaced this week to get us to a point where we can draw a line under the status of the van, it's engine and running gear. then we can start on the conversion :cool:

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I just realised you have barn doors too!, I much prefer my barn doors to the tailgate :) T:

Is that a screen in the dash not a head unit?, what is it connected to mate?

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Really Nice Van, look forward to reading further developments, one thing. Have you chosen to call the Van "Bongo Fury"?

If you have I think you may need to reconsider. Bongo Fury is the name f the Mazda Bongo Forum!!! Do you wanna be linked to them? I:

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just realised you have barn doors too!, I much prefer my barn doors to the tailgate :) T:

Is that a screen in the dash not a head unit?, what is it connected to mate?
Yup... Barn doors. Was thinking of altering it to tailgate but not sure that the huge advantage would be.

Going to work out some way to have a cover between them, angles outwards, for the rain to run of... Anyone know anything about this?

The HU is just some twin-din thing Denni put in. Not working at the moment as last weekend we spent a couple of hours in the freezing cold getting it to sit properly in the dash, only to find out we had obviously knocked out a power lead or something as it now won;t power up DOH! Will be trying to sort that out when we get it back.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Yup... Barn doors. Was thinking of altering it to tailgate but not sure that the huge advantage would be.

Going to work out some way to have a cover between them, angles outwards, for the rain to run of... Anyone know anything about this?

The HU is just some twin-din thing Denni put in. Not working at the moment as last weekend we spent a couple of hours in the freezing cold getting it to sit properly in the dash, only to find out we had obviously knocked out a power lead or something as it now won;t power up DOH! Will be trying to sort that out when we get it back.
My mum works as an operating department practitioner, so got some of that blue plastic sheet stuff they use for operations, going to fold the edges over and glue a magnet inside the fold so I can just chuck it up and over the top of the doors and use it as a shelter too!.

Barn doors, you can park closer to things without having to worry about having enough room to open the door or scratch the car behind or brick wall!, more privacy if someone is inside nakey or getting changed and you need to access the back, or don't want the world to see all your expensive kit. In winter you don't let all the heat out when opening half a door. And if you remove the window rubber, paint between the doors black it looks like one big window too and much better than the naff window rubbers that go bubbly in the middle. Also barn doors give you side shelter from the wind when sat on the back

Ah what a pain with the screen!, double din looks good though T:

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Really Nice Van, look forward to reading further developments, one thing. Have you chosen to call the Van "Bongo Fury"?

If you have I think you may need to reconsider. Bongo Fury is the name f the Mazda Bongo Forum!!! Do you wanna be linked to them? I:
Yes, we know. ;)

Thing is ... Bongo Fury is the name of one of my favorite albums.... Plus the van is Furious with Bongo's! :D

The name stays :cool:

1 - 20 of 1065 Posts