VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1065 Posts

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
My mum works as an operating department practitioner, so got some of that blue plastic sheet stuff they use for operations, going to fold the edges over and glue a magnet inside the fold so I can just chuck it up and over the top of the doors and use it as a shelter too!.

Barn doors, you can park closer to things without having to worry about having enough room to open the door or scratch the car behind or brick wall!, more privacy if someone is inside nakey or getting changed and you need to access the back, or don't want the world to see all your expensive kit. In winter you don't let all the heat out when opening half a door. And if you remove the window rubber, paint between the doors black it looks like one big window too and much better than the naff window rubbers that go bubbly in the middle. Also barn doors give you side shelter from the wind when sat on the back

Ah what a pain with the screen!, double din looks good though T:
REALLY wanted a tail gate... but then I have no idea WHY. all the reasons you have listed kinda makes the barns seem more appealing and the "cover" you get with the tailgate could be sorted, as you said, with tarp and magnets PLUS you have the side protection.

Will be looking at fixing the HU this weekend. I am not too bad with stereos, just finished an install in my car.

Pioneer HU, Genesis Profile 4 Amp, Rainbow Comps and JL stealth sub.

So I am hoping that with a HUGE amount of room there is in the van, I will be able to manage something nice too. H:

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just had an update from [email protected]

Steering Rack has arrived with ALL the needed parts and has been fitted!!!
:mw

Just being all laser aligned and setup perfectly.

Then it is off for an MOT. :gl

Will need a wash when it get's back... the M40/M42/M5/M6/M54 run is bound to get her dirty again!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
REALLY wanted a tail gate... but then I have no idea WHY. all the reasons you have listed kinda makes the barns seem more appealing and the "cover" you get with the tailgate could be sorted, as you said, with tarp and magnets PLUS you have the side protection.

Will be looking at fixing the HU this weekend. I am not too bad with stereos, just finished an install in my car.

Pioneer HU, Genesis Profile 4 Amp, Rainbow Comps and JL stealth sub.

So I am hoping that with a HUGE amount of room there is in the van, I will be able to manage something nice too. H:
Ah it's that Vid of the Z again :D.
Good choice of kit in there, I will be going Genesis for the amps, Morel/Rainbow/DLS for the comps and a 2 or 3 JL 10's hidden away.

I use an Alpine flip out screen in mine, with a few add-ons. Might look at going the double din route eventually myself.
I recon the barn doors will become sought after as everyone is getting rid to go for the Tailgate, it's nice to be in the minority.T:

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ah it's that Vid of the Z again :D.
Good choice of kit in there, I will be going Genesis for the amps, Morel/Rainbow/DLS for the comps and a 2 or 3 JL 10's hidden away.

I use an Alpine flip out screen in mine, with a few add-ons. Might look at going the double din route eventually myself.
I recon the barn doors will become sought after as everyone is getting rid to go for the Tailgate, it's nice to be in the minority.T:
Sorry for boring you with it again Aurora ;)
Best install I have done so far, so it's the only vid I have!

Will look into some kind of tarp for the barn doors this weekend, see what we can design.

Going to fetch her form APS tonight, been five days without her and missing her loads! :(
Sounds stupid, but there are loads of bits from have ordered from eBay which have arrived which we want to put in (only little bits) and also we want to measure up for some extra foam for the gaps in the bed (Will double as sofa cushions) ... until we sort out a RIB anyway.

We have a low level trolly jack which I want to test out on her. Very hopeful it will be low enough. T:

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
WOO HOO!!!!

Fetched the Van back last night ... and CRUISED all the way back up the motorways. :ILU:

So, other than them fitting Cruise control... what did they end up doing?

Basically, they gave her a full service and set her up to pass her MOT... which included:
Oil filter
Engine Oil
Fuel Filter
Pollen Filter
Cambelt kit
Water Pump
Belt
CV Boot (Drivers side)
Pulley's
Relay Roller
Drop links & bushes
Power Assisted Steering Rack.....

Quite an exhaustive list.... but it lets us know that the engine and running gear at 100% fit for purpose and we now have confidence in the van, allowing us to be happy to drive it anywhere we like! H:

Can't thank Ed and the guys at APS enough. Really helped us out with this. Including tracking down a £350 steering rack, rather than the £900 one from VW!!! :eek:

Next on the list.... Popping into Van-X today for some curtains.... on our way to see Wayne at Chip-Wizards, for him to remap the van to use the 150injectors properly. :ILU:

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just spent 20 mins on the van....

Now have the Head Unit working again!

And also, took the passenger and drivers door switches apart as they were not working.
Passenger side was just a loose connection, got it working in no time.

Drivers was harder. Looks like a BIG shock of electric has gone through it at some point, so the back connection bit has melted/blackened quite badly, covering the metal connection.
Flat screwdriver and a couple of bits of sand paper later, back in business!

So I will be able to see what I am leaving in the van when I get out (Cheers Ed!) and also listen to some tunes on the way up to Rochedale today! H:

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Been working in Belfast... so not posted about my trip to Rochedale..

Was a bit of a pig but Wayne sorted it all out.

Jumped from 101bhp to 154.9bhp.... hardly any smoke now and now using LESS fuel than before!!! :cool:

Defo recommend Wayne... his ONLY problem is wanting perfection and will only stop fine tuning when he is happy LOL:

edit...

going from this...
Regarding Torque - its a calculation..

Torque lb/ft = Horsepower x 5252 / rpm
232.4385143 = (154.9 x 5252) / 3500

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Woke up this morning looking to do the curtains on the van....

To be greeted with this!!! :eek:

Minus 7.5 on the temp gauge in the van :eek:

But, after setting up a fan heater in the back of the van, we carried on anyway.

Van-X install, what do you guys think?:ILU:

We are very happy with it... H:

Also, managed to fit the black bits from the dash I bought from t4vanman.
Trying to replace all the yellow flocked with standard setup.
As the yellow is coming off, covering all the black with yellow fluffy bits plus getting dirty/fading.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Just found these...

Might be interesting to peeps who are strugglign with the Van-X install on the sliding doors...
Make sure you have the bit that the curtains slot into TOWARDS THE WINDOW!! Then cut out the bit from the side the screws go in :)

This is what the van looked like after we eventually packed up..!

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Can't believe I have forgotten to post up what Tam has also been doing over the last few nights!!!

As well as helping me with the curtains (Sterling job with the Velcro to keep the bulkhead curtains over to one side) she has made this by hand, by eye!!

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
As some of you know...

I have been moaning about not being able to go out camping as it is too damn cold....

Well, GREAT news on that front... I have "inherited" a brand new D2 from the factory! H:

Just have to wait for it to turn up and get it fitted. :cool:
Only issue is that by the time it turns up and is fitted, it will be warm enough to not need it... DOH!

So, next decision so WHERE do I fit it?
The place I think I want it is under the drivers seat... will do some more research on this and work it out... Watch this space LOL:

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Wow if my new aa van turns out like this I'll be one very happy chappy T:
ha ha ... well, to be fair, it was Denni who did all the work to get it to this stage!

We are taking it forward to be a camper, raher than just a panel van with a nice cab, which is where Denni got it to.

Watch this space ;)

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Spent the weekend ripping stuff out of the van and cleaning her up...
Tam did just as much work as I did!

Good news is, the insulation looks like it has been done properly.
With metallic bubble wrap (anyone know what this is?) and HUGE chunks of polystyrene. So it should be well insulated.
(EDIT : Turns out this is thermal wrap, so it should do the job well)

Took out the amp, cap and general wiring, to be read for the NEW electrical wiring that Upspex will be doing at the beginning of the month, so the leisure battery and split charger.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Not sure if it is ALL psychological or not ... but just fitted a brand spankin' new MAF to the van from VW. Was £91.80 in total even WITH The old one going back to them!!!

But she drives SO SO much nicer now.

Could just be because I drove there and replaced it, then drove back, so she was warmed up.
Could just be because I spent £100 and want to feel like I am getting my monies worth...

But I SWEAR she feels better!

Will try her from cold tomorrow and see how she does.

Spot the difference....?

:cool:

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Not sure if it is ALL psychological or not ... but just fitted a brand spankin' new MAF to the van from VW. Was £91.80 in total even WITH The old one going back to them!!!

But she drives SO SO much nicer now.

Could just be because I drove there and replaced it, then drove back, so she was warmed up.
Could just be because I spent £100 and want to feel like I am getting my monies worth...

But I SWEAR she feels better!

Will try her from cold tomorrow and see how she does.

Spot the difference....?

:cool:
Which is the new and old one?, one has an additional gauze filter?.
What prompted you to change the MAF, were you having any running issues?

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Which is the new and old one?, one has an additional gauze filter?.
What prompted you to change the MAF, were you having any running issues?
There is no extra gauze... but you can SEE the gauze on the new one, because the old one has BLACK gauze from all the soot!

VW said they could tell it was the original MAF (something to do with a part number change?) so it was a good idea to change it as all MAF's deteriorate over time due to use.

Going to take her out again today to see how she does form cold. H:

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
There is no extra gauze... but you can SEE the gauze on the new one, because the old one has BLACK gauze from all the soot!

VW said they could tell it was the original MAF (something to do with a part number change?) so it was a good idea to change it as all MAF's deteriorate over time due to use.

Going to take her out again today to see how she does form cold. H:
Mine isn't doing too well on MPG, getting around 40-50miles from £10, she's done 100k and looks like original MAF so may change mine, certainly the temp sensor was the original black 4 pin (these are worth changing to the green one).

Have a look at my post on the plastic turbo inlet pipe: http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=167536
this is worth checking while you are in the mood to do odd jobs to the van T:

21 - 40 of 1065 Posts